Loft insulation - what is it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I found what I take to be insulation material in my loft. It's a white material in long threads. Looks like it was originally in black paper bags (marked ASS and I can also see 'FI...' written on another part of a bag). Anybody know what the material might be? Thanks.
loft insulation.png

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
it looks like it might be polyester wadding, or spun fleece.

used to be put in loudspeaker enclosures, or it might be the stuff sold as a non-irritant loft insulation.

I find it clings to rough skin annoyingly. If you take a sample to a safe place it will probably melt in a flame.

Thank you for your reply - I've also noticed the letters 'FI....' on another bag (but I can't see what comes after that). The insulation will have been up there for at least 20 years, could be much longer. Obviously, I'm just concerned it's not something dangerous like asbestos.

JohnD,
I tried burning a sample with a match and, to be honest, not a lot happened. It didn't really catch fire, though a little bit went a grayish colour.

Sponsored Links
LOL - I see what you mean! That would make sense.

the word-game makes sense, but I haven't see loft insulation in white fibreglass.

I've managed to unearth a bit more and the word 'GLASS' is definitely there!

Proceed with extreme caution - there was product which contained loose asbestos material in paper bags. Worth getting a sample tested of the loose material before disturbing too much of it.

About 6 or 7 years back I as on a job where we installed pre-bagged fibre insulation above suspended ceilings in a new school extension. It came from the manufacturers in sealed black poly bags and was somewhat better to install than loose stuff on acount of minimal dust exposure. Can't for the life of me remember what it was called, though

Proceed with extreme caution - there was product which contained loose asbestos material in paper bags. Worth getting a sample tested of the loose material before disturbing too much of it.

Thanks for this, newboy - it's certainly one of the things I was concerned about. I had, though, come round to thinking that if the words 'FI' and 'GLASS' seem to be written on the bags then that does strongly suggest that it will be fibreglass - what do you think?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back