Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
A bit of advice is needed here. Just going to start flooring my loft space, Thing is the house is over 40 years old and all the conduit is Metal Piping and Fixed, what i am going to do is Replace the lighting curcuit with twin and earth, should be easy enough, i also want to replace all the itchy insulation with the Airtec stuff sold on Screwfix. Questions are. Do i need to use the new harmonized colours cables for the lighting curcuit and is it ok to use twin and earth and no conduit, also i notice the curcuit has no earth cable, do i just copy what is up there and use plastic junction boxes. The light fitting had to be screwed into the metal box fitted to the metal conduit, so my thinking is i can just use wood from above fixed to the joists and move my lights anywhere i want as i can then use plastic junction boxes or even choc bloc to join the light to the curcuit as the wood will be there to screw the fitting into. Hope you understnd what i am trying to say. Is all that ok. Also the insulation is one layer of this airtec stuff from screwfix enough or do i need to use layers of the itchy stuff as well. I am a very keen diy'er and will give most things ago but i do use this site alot for info and just to double check things. Thanks in advance

BOB.T

Sponsored Links
Most of your questions belong in the electrics UK forum, not here.

If you are buying cable now, you will have no choice other than using harmonised colours, unless you can find some old stock in the old colours. Don't forget that if you have a mixed system of colours in your house, you need to fix an appropriate warning notice.

You can't just copy what is there: the twin and earth cable will have its own circuit protective conductor (which isn't there at the moment).

You can move the ceiling mounted light fittings to wherever you think is appropriate, with wooden noggins for fixing.

If you are covering cable with insulation you need to take this into account in your capacity calculations.

Ask your questions in Electrics UK. Some of the people on there may appear a little unkind. They mean well.

Use junction boxes as a last resort, better to fit a new length of cable, but if thats not possible make sure the junction boxes are accesible.
I wouldnt bother with the conduit unless its in danger of being damaged, try to avoid laying the cable under the insulation.
And yes fit an earth, if its being spurred of an upstairs light there should be one there to connect too.

But post this in the electrical section, as there are guys who are alot more knowledgeable about these things than me, as i am mainly industrial spark, so not 100% with the regulations etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back