Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

We live in an old railway station and the roof space is poorly insulated. Whilst there is some fibreglass insulation, its very thin and basically isnt working.

My question is, as there are so many products available, whats the best one to use? Fibreglass would be cheapest I assume and I could just add it to whats already there, but Ive seen foiled backed sheets and the expandable foam seems effective all be it costly.

Any advice, thanks

PS Im not a trainspotter!!

Sponsored Links
depends where you are putting the insulation, ie on the ceiling joists, or in between the rafters. if its between the ceiling joists go for rockwool or similar, cheap and effective. dont go for the sprayed on exanding foam it causes lots of problems as it stops the roofspace from breathing and rots the timbers

I take it you mean on the ceiling joists and not the roof rafter joists, if so, I would just add another 4" insulation over the top of it. Although the building regulations insisting 10" thickness :!: but on new built home though. The 10" to me is a waste of time as there isn't a great deal of heat saving and it's awkward to walk on the ceiling joists as well. I would go for the cheapest you can afford by using 4" (100mm) insulation.

Depending how old your property is, you maybe entitle to a loft insulation grant, check with your local council. Many years ago I saved 65% cost with the grant and I don't know if it's still available.

Sponsored Links
Yes you're right I mean inbetween the ceiling joists. Masona, already looked into a grant but the Highland council dont offer any, only a list of companies offering a subsidised service and the cheapest was charging £450 for loft insulation! At the rate I'll be the one subsidising them.

have a look at british gas, they are or were running all sorts of energy grants. its an easy job to do though. you can do it in a few hours, and the modern stuff is a lot more user friendly than the old fibre glass

ps you know me masona, built for speed not comfort! :D

Try whomever supplies your electricity - I had a word with my provider recently and they were doing it for a flat rate charge of either £150 or £250, can't remember exactly but not bad either way.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back