Loft Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house originally had a flat roof, about 25 years ago a new pitched roof was built, with the old flat roof left in situ. Shortly after the new roof was fitted I constructed a model railway room up there, 7ft wide down the centre of the roof space. I removed the old roofing in this section to gain more headroom, and build stud partition side walls, with doors to access the remaining roof space either side.
There is no insulation in the loft, except the old roofing, which had pieces removed here and there by the builders during the new roof construction. And there is no insulation at all under the section I made into the railway room.
Now I want to fit proper fibreglass insulation throughout the loft.
I use the side spaces to store stuff but if I just lay insulation over the old roofing, I won`t be able to use it for anything, and there is a lot of handy storage space up there.
I don`t really want to have to remove the entire remaining flat roof, so I can lay insulation between the joists, then put boards down to walk on, but I can`t see any alternative.
It was a devil of a job when I built the model railway room. The old roof is some sort of cement impregnated strawboard (for want of a better description) topped by about a 30mm layer of cement render, then covered by roofing felt and stone chippings.
All this will have to be broken up and removed via the loft hatch bit by bit.

Is there a better way to go about this, without just laying the insulation on top of the old roofing?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back