Loft Lighting Circuits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:rolleyes: I am in the process of converting my loft. I had plans passed a few months ago, Builder just started. I want to work around him to install a 5 double socket ring main and 2 sets of low voltage light circuits. Both these supplied from consumer unit.
Will 1.0mm T&E be ok for the lights. (transformer set up with 5 - 20w halogens on each).

I have also heard of new regs coming into force 1st Jan ((Part P) Elec safety) I have always done as much as I can regarding my own DIY. Will this regulation prevent me from doing this - even though my plans have already been passed. Or can I just get it checked afterwards.

Sponsored Links
darius217 said:
Will 1.0mm T&E be ok for the lights. (transformer set up with 5 - 20w halogens on each).
1.0 sq mm will be fine for the supply to the transformers

I have also heard of new regs coming into force 1st Jan ((Part P) Elec safety) I have always done as much as I can regarding my own DIY. Will this regulation prevent me from doing this - even though my plans have already been passed. Or can I just get it checked afterwards.[/quote]

Well, read it for yourself!

Approved Document - Electrical Safety

Enjoy!

dingbat said:
Well, read it for yourself!

Approved Document - Electrical Safety

Enjoy!
And then take a week off work and do a search here, NoveServe, and on Screwfix (if it's up) for terms like, and variations on, Part P, competent, regulations, qualifications etc.

Somobody on Screwfix was suggesting that anything already started when Prt P comes into effect would be exempt until March or April or something.

I think I'll lift a floorboard and stick the end of a reel of 2.5 in there - that's the rewire started....

If I read the same post as you, I think it said if a contract had already been agreed, then you had until march or april to do the work.

My local building control said that if the work was already started before 1 Jan, then they were completely not interested. Thought the guy was not exactly enthusiastic to talk about it. He reckoned £100 a go for inspection, but this had still not been settled..... Nor who was going to do it.

Sponsored Links
Damocles said:
If I read the same post as you, I think it said if a contract had already been agreed, then you had until march or april to do the work.
DIY jobs don't have contracts of course, but I guess if people can take out employers liability insurance so that they can sue themselves, a DIY-er could contract himself.

But I expect common sense would prevail in BC, and if you'd started a DIY job, they would be so not interested in that either.

I wonder if the fact that I have not yet got round to sorting out the borrowed neutral I created 16 years ago means that I have not yet finished my rewire...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back