loft lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I have 2 flourescent lights in the loft, at this time they are on a normal 13 amp plug into a socket and work on a movement sensor.

Im not happy with this set up, and it was used when some work was carried out in the loft.

I would prefer to have them wired into the main light ring.

would it be ok to have a spur off the ring for 2 large lights, I have an electrician coming to do a consumer unit in a week, if i attach the wires to the lights ( a pain and time consumming as they are high and awkward) and leave the tops off the lights all he needs to do is check they are connected correct and join wire to the a switch and then on to the spur.

The loft is used for storage, but we do go in it often, may be 4 times a week.

Im just checking as its alot of wire and a pain in the arse job if its not acceptable on the day.

thanks
OJ

Sponsored Links
As it such a trivial matter I see no problem in you connecting the 2 lights up and leaving for the electrician to inspect.He might still want to check your connections for soundness which will mean getting up there anyway.
Don't forget to sleeve the bare earths if you are using twin and earth.Double over the wires into the fitting if they are single to make a sound connection as the connectors are usually way bigger than 1.0mm² or 1.5mm² ;)

Im cutting and securing the wires in place around the loft to the switch box and to spur area ready for connections, thats why its important I checked its ok to spur to switch to light.

Many thanks :D
OJ

I would leave them as they are.

If you run them off the lights then you cannot use them if you ever want to modify the wiring of the upstairs lights.

And if you are in the loft and the lights pop thier MCB (or fuse ) you will be completely in the dark.

Sponsored Links
aagghh good thinking bat man, They are at this time running off a plug, and they are big lights x2 so would it still be ok to place a swtich on them just like a lamp set up, but a boxed switch screwed to the wall by the loft hatch and what size wire as i m not sure what is on there now is safe, im tempted to post a pic but it would get confiscated to the jokers gallery :rolleyes:

the jokers gallery is no bad thing!! It provides humour and enjoyment to thousands. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back