Loft Options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have been offered two options on boarding out my recently super insulated loft, both of which sound plausible, but one is hugely expensive in comparison to the other:

1: Shoes to be hung off the purling (sic), then the joists suspended above the existing joists and insulation, and boarding screwed on top.

2: Cross battening, as mentioned in lots of the other threads. My joists are "standard" size, so cross battened on top with the new layer of insulation placed in between the new joists, boards on top etc etc.

Can anyone advise on the possible difference in quality and would my joists accept the weight of the new layer?

Would the purling route put too much of an extra load on with the weight of the roof, and is this just a bit extravagant/ too creative?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
The purlins were designed to support the weight of a roof. Throwing the extra weight of a floor onto them is pushing your luck, especially if you start loading it up with heavy stuff. :!: :!: :!: (I always find it surprizing that a habitable room in a loft has to have a new floor supported by the walls but you can board over the existing joists and load it with whatever you like. :eek: :eek: :eek: )

There is a third option: Put a proper load-bearing floor in, just as you would for a loft conversion. It won't be cheap but, if you're thinking about a conversion in the future, why not start now. :idea: :idea: :idea:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back