loft room radiator cold at bottom . Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently installed a new potteton supreme 50. a boiler engineer checked it and bled all system. i've got three rads downstairs and two upstairs and 1 in loft room. Every week loft rad gets cold i switch off and open bleed valve on loft rad "nothing happens" if I turn system on and open bleed valve after about 30mins of gargle it finaly gets hot."great" a week later bioler starts to make sum hissing sounds and loft rad is only hot at bottom again. all other rads are fine,"well dinning room rad is little cold at bottom, which is the largest rad, Bathroom rad too hot" all rads have temp control except bathroom. Ive checked expansion tank,Its fine. gas man says bioler is fine. All rads are new except loft rad. WHERE IS THE AIR COMING FROM!. Once the system started to bang and water hist out of pipe above boiler. "has not done that for some time now. seem to spend every week bleeding loft rad. I have can anyone help me!

Sponsored Links
You say the bathroom radiator is too hot? then turn it down a bit!!!

there is a possibility it is stealing hot water that could otherwise be going round your cold rads.

As for the difficulty bleeding your loft rad, how high (above the top of the loft rad) have you mounted the Feed and Expansion Tank?

When you flushed the system after fittting the new new boiler, what colour was the water that came out? Which brand of inhibitor did you use?

JohnD said:
You say the bathroom radiator is too hot? then turn it down a bit!!!

there is a possibility it is stealing hot water that could otherwise be going round your cold rads.

As for the difficulty bleeding your loft rad, how high (above the top of the loft rad) have you mounted the Feed and Expansion Tank?

When you flushed the system after fittting the new new boiler, what colour was the water that came out? Which brand of inhibitor did you use?

Expansion tank is in loft above hot water tank same room as loft rad "Never touched it but cleaned it out. rads were black water however system was flushed and all new rads installed including cylinder/ pump installed. Last night i turned boiler on full and sat up loft room with bleeed vaulve open for forty mins untill hot water finally came out, but when i came downstairs i could hear gargle in lounge rad.
as im writing this all rads were boiling even dinning room hot and gargleing, suddenly boiler starts to hiss and bang thump bang ive just turned it of, When boiler fires up it hisses a bit around pipes, but no water coming out. im beginging to think water pipe that goes into boiler needs re doiing. The whole thing was working fine with my old Ideal boiler. I have turned the temp nob down on boiler and tommorow i will spend time re bleeding it all again. unless anyone got any sugestions?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back