Loft storage and insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I want to use my loft space as a storage/train set room.

My bungalow has 4" x 2" joists in the loft and and will need to be insulated. Will these joists be sufficient? The max unsupported span is about 12 feet. When putting in the insulation, if i use 170mm and compress it will that be better than just using 100mm?

Hope someone can help

Regards...

Sponsored Links
Well, Where do we start...... There are many posts in the topic floating about, might be an idea to have a read up of several.... some good points to learn regarding loft space.

Anyways..... Your idea to cram in more loft insulation inbetween the joists and then pack down, I asume you mean by placing some kind of boarding on top..... There are a few things to think about here....

The pressure you create, could bring down you cieling below.... ive seen plasterboard cielings pop a few nails etc with this method... Id advise using what you can fit in the space and dont forget the timber floor you add, will also be some kind of insulation to the rooms below....

If you do want to add a thicker lair of unsulation, then you could cross battern the joists to give you more space... this methos can also add some strength to your current 4x2`s.... Once boarded over.

I asume your going to need it warm up thier too.... maybe look at unsulation the apex beams of the loft space.... What is the construction? Truses? thicknesses? etc?

Dont forget if you have a water tank in the loft, its not worth insulation under it, as the very small amount of heat thats lost from the main house/bungalow could stop you water tank from freezing in the winter.

Hope thats some kind of help to you

look down here at the similar posts

¦
¦
¦
¦
¦
V

Sponsored Links
Get some 12ft long 175mm joists and problem solved. Strong floor, no compression. Screw 'em into the existing 4x2's and make sure they are resting on supporting walls

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back