Loft Storage - Dodgy Ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My loft is dividedn into several sections. The main section has been properly converted, with reinforced floor etc, boxed in and plastered. I intend to convert this into an office/workshop, by the addition of a staircase to replace the current drop down ladder, and a couple of roof windows. No problems.

To make space, I have started to put loft boards down in another section of the loft (one of the gable ends), upon which I plan to put all the stuff we have (for no apparent reason) got stored in the existing loft. This is a nice open space, about 15ft square, above our bedroom. It is currently not boarded, but appears to be well insulated.

However, having cleared out all the old bits of carpet and detritous that previous occupants have left up there, and starting to srew some chipboard loft boards down, I have noticed that there is quire a bit of movement - a springiness or bounciness - in the joists. I can stand in the middle and bounce on the joists. Probably by maybe 1cm - not a mssive amount, but enough to notice. Having done this, not surprisingly, a crack has appeared in the ceiling of the room below.

I do not intent to use this as a working space, purely for storage, which will be for clothes, books, photo albums, Christmas decorations etc. Does this sound like at some point the whole ceiling might come down?? It seems like such a huge job to reinforce what will only be storage space....

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

Pete

Sponsored Links
Could you cross batten the area with 2x4 then board? Would give you extra piece of mind and strengthen the existing joists, wouldn't be to much extra time or cost involved in doing this.

My loft is dividedn into several sections. The main section has been properly converted, with reinforced floor etc, boxed in and plastered. I intend to convert this into an office/workshop, by the addition of a staircase to replace the current drop down ladder, and a couple of roof windows.
What does “properly converted” mean :?: by removing the loft ladder & adding a staircase & roof lights, you are effectively crating a habitable space which must comply with current Building Regs, including the access!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back