Loft storage (I know !)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: - noob diy'er.
Just wanting a bit of a 'heads-up' here. I've tidied all of the crud out of my loft space (1930's semi) and it's as clean as a whistle. vacuumed all of the ceiling trays and dryfilled to depth 80mm with warmcel. Looks great .... but I now have a dilemma. What I intended to do was to board with 18mm all round on top of the warmcel and then lay blanket on top of the boards, 100mm one way, 150mm cross layed, total depth would end up as 330mm.

I've read about weight of the boards etc and as there's going to be nothing on them at all i'm hoping this isn't a problem or is it?. The boards are purely for access if needed later by tradesmen etc. My main concern is laying boards on top of dryfill, there'll be no air gap and i'm now reading that condensation may occur. Is this likely? If so what should i be doing at this stage?

In hindsight should i have foregone the original dryfill and just boarded with a boatfull of blanket on top??

Or maybe forget about the boards altogether?

It'll be ok with 80mm dryfill, 100mm blanket to bring it top of existing joists and then 150mm easylay cross layed on to that won't it?

The dryfill is in now and boards moreorless laid ready for the blanket but I suppose it's no sweat to remove the boards and just topup on top of the warmcel if this is what would be best. I was just thinking that in the event of any leaks the warmcel would have a chance if it was boarded otherwise it'll become papier-mache :cry:

Anyway, the easylay i've bought from Wickes is plastic coated, won't any hot air managing to dind its way through the insulation condense against that surface also and not rise?

Just a thought ..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back