loft use

ojo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
in my edwardian house i have a large loft 24ft x 12 which is used for junk etc. I would like to clear it out put a chair desk and music for a quiet place.The joists are 4x2 and solid should I strengthen them in some way and any other tips

Sponsored Links
ohmygod, ojo. Big question!

For a span of 12 feet the joists should be in the order of 3"x8" - at least - depending on loads of other circumstances.

What is the access like? How would you escape if there were a fire?

Sorry to be vague.

thanks for reply.

loads would be less than junk now in there as it would be sent back to kids who now have their own houses.

I was going to put in a velux window as well but entrance is through a vertical door onto a landing not a loft hatch in a ceiling as house is three floors and loft is over the back part which is two floors only.

Sponsored Links
Still a difficult one ojo. If you want to convert this room so that you can officially call it a habitable room I think you are going to need some on-site advice and design.

Sounds like access might not be too bad but creating a habitable space on a third floor takes the whole property into a different category for means of escape and fire protection. For example, you would be looking at fire doors and door closers on every door down the stairs and landings and your velux window would need to be an 'escape' window.

I take you point on the loads being less than what is already there but there is a big difference between going into a room occasionally to store a few boxes and spending long periods of time there. Even reletively small point loads can cause deflection quite quickly.

I would urge you to think about taking some on-site advice. You wouldn't want to get trapped up there blissfully listening to youir music whilst the house filled with smoke and cut off your escape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back