Loft Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our top Bedroom is pretty cold at the moment, it is the second floor of our terrace house, with a very small loft above it, and a another loft next to it. I have added another layer of insulation to the top loft to help as it only had one thin layer, but am wondering what to do about the other loft - its seems to be insulated ok, its old, but two layers crossing with no gaps.

I think I need to insulate the wall shared between this loft and the top bedroom, and wondering how to do it?

This wall in the top bedroom is always very cold, i don't see any signs of condensation, but don't want to make the problem any worse.

The wall itself doesn't look to be in the greatest shape. Is it worth just having someone come around and repair the brick work, or just try and insulate it myself, obviously it doesn't have to look pretty - i'm not going to try and convert the loft.

View media item 42470 View media item 42471
I'm struggling to find any help on the internet, other than some kind of spray insulation, which seems very expensive. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
So after having a look in Wickes this evening, wondered about screwing battens to the wall, slotting 50mm insulation tiles in gaps then stapling insulating foil over the top to hold it all together.

Any thoughts?

Dont bother just make the insulation 2 foot thick if its not going to get in the way, the more insulation the better.

So just stacking some 600mm floor insulation in a pile on top of each other sitting next to the wall from the floor to the roof - is that what your suggesting?

Its not going to get in the way, and this would be far cheaper and easier todo. With maybe a few lengths of rope to keep it in place against the wall.

Sponsored Links
No I was under the impression you wanted to keep the room warmer under the loft, it is normal for your loft to be cold.

Thanks for that, I'm trying to insulate the room that shares the wall with the loft. Half my second floor is loft, and half is a bedroom, this hasn't been converted, its just the way this house was built.

Its the bedroom thats cold, and particularly on that wall, so wondering if I can insulate it better from the loft side, as you can see from the holes and gaps in the mortar, there must be a draft getting through the brick layer to whatever if anything is between this and the plaster on the other side.

ok now I understand a bit more, well in that case stack it up against the wall its an easy option and see how it goes. how thick is the wall single or double brick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back