Loft Wireing Query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Two questions really if anyone can help...

1. I have a security light outside fed from the lighting circuit in the loft and was wanting to know if it would be safe to install a isolator for it in the loft so I can turn it off to change the bulb etc? if so does it need to be a 3 amp fused spur or a double pole switch?

2. I need to put a powered aerial splitter / amp in the loft and there is no current way for me to put a socket up there from the ring etc... can you place one on the lighting circuit protected by a 3 amp fused spur? or wire it directly to one of them 5 amp sockets and plugs?

Sorry if they are daft questions but just wanted to know,

Thanks[/b]

Sponsored Links
1. I have a security light outside fed from the lighting circuit in the loft and was wanting to know if it would be safe to install a isolator for it in the loft so I can turn it off to change the bulb etc? if so does it need to be a 3 amp fused spur or a double pole switch?
Yes, and a DP switch would be suitable.
2. I need to put a powered aerial splitter / amp in the loft and there is no current way for me to put a socket up there from the ring etc... can you place one on the lighting circuit protected by a 3 amp fused spur? or wire it directly to one of them 5 amp sockets and plugs?
You could do either, provided that the aerial splitter just has a mains cable which you could connect to the fused spur unit or a 5A plug. If it has a plug-in power supply (commonly called a 'wallwart'!) it would obviously need a 13A socket to plug into, which would make things slightly more complicated.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back