Log book

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For cars.....

My bro in law has bought a motor and has been told it would cost £50-£70 (buy the bloke who sold him it) to register the car in his name.

Ive not bought a motor in the last 3 years. I guess you have to pay now for an update on the log book? Is that how it works now?

He has just moved down here from Scotland and bought a motor
I'm gonna have a look but, I suspect it needs a new exhaust and an inlet manifold. Looks easy as its a '95' Corsa, but Ill have a closer look tomorrow once ive finished work.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Think he is being conned you just fill it in and send it off bought a car last week and thats all that still happens

The seller of the car should fill out the new owners particulars, which should then be checked and signed.
The seller then sends the tear off slip to Swansea and a new V5 will be issued in the new keepers name.
No charge!
If the V5 goes adrift, a new one can be applied for using a form from the Post Office (sorry don't know the number of it).
John :)

Like said above....the seller has to fill in the details and send it off to DVLA. If they dont have it, you can get a replacement and I dont think its anywhere near £70

Sponsored Links
The seller is having you at it.

If he has the logbook (V5) then it's free to transferr it to your name.

If he doesn't have the logbook then you will need to complete form V62 and send it off with the fee of £25.

If the seller does not have the logbook then what proof do you have the car belongs to the seller?

a V5c is not proof of ownership of a vehicle. you have to be careful if you are buying a car on the belief that it is.

obviously this doesn't really matter for a '95 corsa as a pint down my local is more expensive and a far less risky prospect.

Just a thought, Has your brother in law bought a vehicle that presently has a personalised registration number, that the previous owner wishes to transfer to another vehicle?.?
If so, it's up to the previous owner to sort this out with DVLA and pay for the transfer of the reg number.
DVLA will issue your brother in law with another registration number FOC as far as I know.

your brother in law should have been given the small green tear off slip which he should fill in and keep until he recieves a log book from swansea, it is the previous owner who has the onus of sending paperwork to swansea UNLESS the car is not registered to him. If he gave your brother in law NO part of the log book then i am afraid he will have to go to a post office, get the relevant form and fill it in, send away with £20 or £25 not sure the correct price now

if there is no log book it may be stolen. do not spend any money on it as it could be reclaimed.

To charge access to the logbook, means *****, your brother in law has been done over a barrel.

Sponsored Links
Back