Marshalling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After many processes, Ive now obtained the qualifications to marshall races up to f3000.

Whist I'm happy about it, we were shown an incident when a marshall was killed. It may have been shock tactics but it has had an effect on me.

Now, the clip is horrific and I will provide a link, but please don't watch it if your not into a man being hit by a car at 250kph. (We were shown an un-blurred clip) :eek:

BUT, this IMO this should be played (but blurred) to kids who run across roads.

Ill only post this so you can see the accident vaguely.

A driver - Tom Pryce was killed in this incident aswell.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Not clicked on the link, but is this the driver who was killed when the fire extinguisher hit him from the marshall running the track?

If it is, I have seen it on a training video myself

On the interweb, far more shocking images are available, so not so shocking, but at the time, this made f1 safer, so saved more lives. There are far more shocking images out there, Nikki Lauder, or Aerton Senna, hence why motorsport has become boring to watch. The guy flipping his car upside down, and walking away; but Rally sport, shoud be the sport to watch. f1 is boring.

Posting footage like this, in these times isn't shocking. It won't change anything. People are seasoned to it. People want to see death and destruction.

Not clicked on the link, but is this the driver who was killed when the fire extinguisher hit him from the marshall running the track?

If it is, I have seen it on a training video myself

Yes it is.

Mr. W.

Sponsored Links
Just seen the unblurred version of this.
The driver reminded me of mr bean. The first idiot across just escaped death by inches. And to top it all no fire.

Given that they crossed beside a slope on the track, the f1 cars would have been out of sight. And would they have even heard them?

Only ever been to silverstone once and noticed that when the f1 car was coming into a corner you could barely hear it. Just a nice gentle hum. Though obviously it was powering down.
But when it powered out of the corner it was like an explosion of deafning thunder.

Have you edited that post Norcon?
Personally, children at primary school should watch this (blurred). The only way they could decipher which marshall was killed was to see who didn't turn up for a de-brief after the race. I guess he was awfully smashed to pieces - but could not have known much about it which is a blessing. He only had to look one way for gods sake. Its half the green-cross code.

Mr. W.

He only had to look one way for gods sake. Its half the green-cross code.

He probably did look and seen nothing. Then a f1 car is suddenly bearing down on him @ 180mph. Perhaps if he hadn't paused to look then he might have made it.
I don't think it would be an appropiate video to try and deter children from crossing a road without looking.

Back