Log Burner In The Garage Regs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the colder months it would be nice to have a heat source in the garage/workshop for the odd days I spend a few hours or so in there, the garage is single skin, single glazed, no insulation, an ice box in winter, I'm thinking of buying a crappy stove off Marketplace, making up a chimney (using proper chimney components) that vents through the wall, getting Hetas approval is completely cost prohibitive but really what are the risks? I will be in there and active, rather than sat on a sofa falling asleep and likely to succumb to the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, realistically what are the risks? I accept my home insurance could potentially be effected but likely only an issue is the event of some kind of disaster, which I would suppose is extremely unlikely and fingers crossed I'll not live through. Anyway I digress, a carbon monoxide alarm would be installed. Any thoughts? I am expecting a tirade!

Sponsored Links
For sure but I wood suppose I'm thinking I might be in there maybe a dozen times through the winter months (for more than an hour or so) and I seem to generate plenty of waste wood. I'm not saying it's the most efficient way to stay warm on occasion merely enjoying my time in the workshop having a heat source and crackling fire but trying to maintain some element of safety!

Sponsored Links
Will a wood burner get up to heat in time?
if you’re in there an hour, how long does radiant heat take to build?

Any thoughts? I am expecting a tirade!

I have and use one, in my garage, and workshop. Nothing fancy about it, just a repurposed gas bottle, hinged door cut in the front, then a chimney let in the top. Chimney is 4" square steel 3mm thick, which doglegs out through a hole, cut through the concrete panel wall, from the upper rear of the bottle. A circular 2 1/2" hole, is cut where the valve was, then a length of 3mm wall tube, is welded there, fitted with a butterfly flap.

It can glow red hot. To light it, a bit of paper and a few sticks, close the butterfly, open the front door, until it gets going. Close the front door, open the butterfly - combustion air is sucked down the pipe, playing the flames against the walls. Feeding it, you close butterfly, then open door.

To helps distribute the heat, I have a curved sheet of alloy, around the back of it, with a couple of 240v computer main frame fans. The are switched so as to have both in series, one on full speed, or both on. The timber I burn, is off-cuts, plus what I collect from trees in the garden.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back