Plastering a garage wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally finished building a brick garage/workshop. I would like to have the internal walls plastered. What is the best way to do this? The walls are single skin with a DPC about 3 bricks above the concrete slab the garage is sitting on.

Will I need to fix plasterboard to some battens on the wall with some DPM to prevent damp coming through or could I apply something directly to the wall? I'm not looking for a particularly smooth finish. I would quite like to get an effect called "Knock Down" which my previous house had when I lived in the U.S. Or could I get this effect using a concrete render?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sponsored Links
are the external walls rendered ? to be honest i would look to making sure your external wall is covered before doing any work on the inside,blocks are pretty pourous .

you can go with what you want on the inside up to you. if you not looking for a particular smooth surface maybe some of the lads in here could help :LOL: :D

if you not looking for a particular smooth surface maybe some of the lads in here could help
:eek: :LOL: :LOL: .

smooth render imo.........a lot more hardwearing for a workshop.

Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

Skinters, the external walls are bare house brick. Would rendering the inside without having the outside rendered be a problem?

Sponsored Links
Thanks to both of you for your feedback.

Skinters, the external walls are bare house brick. Would rendering the inside without having the outside rendered be a problem?

i looked at a job once garage like yours with bare brick,you could see water trickling through the brick work,which had been compromised over the years.the owner wanted to render the inside. i ended up not doing the job,as i told the owner he needed to render etc the outside first.it was not an option because he had prized plants growing up the sides of the garage and did not like the idea of losing all them just to render the outside.

if you render the inside of your garage and dont do the outside you will get problems.i would rather have a good render job on the outside,and see to the inside at a later date.like alastairreid said much better for a workshop/garage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back