Log burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This might sound like a daft question,

but can I have a log burner (cast iron type) in my front room, even though I have no chimney?

I currently have an electric fire which is against the wall (this is an outer wall) and was wondering if I could drill through and fit some sort of flue running up this wall (externally).

I really want a proper flame fire either Log or Gas as the electric fire is just plain rubbish tbh.

Many thanks in advance

Beatts

Sponsored Links
Errr, most definately no if you want to burn logs but you can get gas flame effect fires which may suit; they dont put out any heat though.

You may be able to create a chimney... go to Google and type twin wall flue.

Hi Beatts
Yes there is a possibility of installing either a solid fuel stove or gas stove by running a twinwall insulated flue up the outside of your property, normally this will need to extend beyond the full height of the property.
There are too many regulations to list here so a suggestion would be for solid fuel to logon to the HETAS.co.uk website and find an installer in your area who could visit your property and advise accordingly - particularly regarding venting requirements / smokeless zones / hearth issues etc. And for a gas stove which is an efficient unit, you can log on to Gas Safe and similarly find an installer who will advise you how they can legally fix it for you. Either option requires you to use a qualified engineer

Sponsored Links

but can I have a log burner (cast iron type) in my front room, even though I have no chimney?
Yes anything is possible, I have a multifuel stove in my conservatory with no chimney but will say the twinwall flue is not cheap and can be dearer than the stove itself. It's the best investment I have ever made, I'm in the conservatory every night even with the snow now! As mentioned get the HETAS installer round for advice, don't be put off by the building regs, it's normally straight forward.

I currently have an electric fire which is against the wall (this is an outer wall) and was wondering if I could drill through and fit some sort of flue running up this wall (externally).

I really want a proper flame fire either Log or Gas as the electric fire is just plain rubbish tbh.

Many thanks in advance

Beatts

http://www.stovesonline.co.uk/wood_burning_stoves/Flue-and-Chimney.html

Lots of info - you can indeed have a burner without a conventional chimney

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back