Log burning stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had our new log burner installed on Friday.

Last night we tried it out for the first time. Chopped up some old bits of timber I had lying about the garage and off we went.

Shortly after we lit the fire it filled the house with awful fumes.

The stove is connected to a brand new flue liner that was installed with it.

Is this just the new paint etc on the stove getting "seasoned" or am I likely to have a leak somewhere in the connection to the flue?

Anyone else installed a new one and experienced similar?

Sponsored Links
You should have a note about the fumes in the User Instructions. If it's really revolting, it's paint. If it's a flue leak it will smell like a wood fire.

You should have the windos and doors open for a couple of hours when you first run it, and stay outside as well.

Thanks for the reply.

It was revolting, and we opened all the doors and windows. The instruction advised small fires at first to season it but didn't mention the fumes. It is a MORSO stove cast iron stove.

Thanks for the reply.

It was revolting, and we opened all the doors and windows. The instruction advised small fires at first to season it but didn't mention the fumes. It is a MORSO cast iron stove.

Sponsored Links
We have a log burner with stove pipe and have been experiencing strong fumes since it was installed. I thought this would go away after a few burnings but when the fire gets really hot it still seems to fume the room. Will this eventually clear?

Have you tried difference type of woods ? Some wood are more smoky than others.I've one in my back garden and found the best way is to start with small timber to get the flow going at a steady rate small then build up on it.If you put too much wood to start with,the smoke will puff out sideway etc.....

Masona is rught about different woods burning differently, but I've found it is due more to moisture content than species.

The recommended time for wood storage of log size bits is THREE to FOUR years. I know it seems a lot, but it makes a huge difference to the heat you get in the room. If you have moisture in the wood you spend some of the heat pumping the moisture out of the wood, then turning it into steam.

For lighting the stove, I've recently changed the lighting method, and it's minimum smoke, doesn't matter how much wood you put on, and it's reliable.

How did we gettaught to light fires? Paper, small sticks, larger sticks, logs or big sticks. What happens? Light paper, sets light to small sticks, heats larger bits, lots of smoke until the temperature rises enough to set light to the smoke. Then if you have the fire in an enclosed stove, you get a soft explosion which expels smoke into the room.

I now light the fire upside down. Put in the logs then some smaller bits, then some still smaller bits, then a couple sheets of free newspaper, then some very small sticks. Light paper, it sets light to the very small sticks, which in turn sets light to the larger bits etc. This means you get flames right from the start, and it makes the whole process much better.

When running a wood burning stove, you MUST have flames until you have only charcoal left on the bed. If you don't have flames you will be depositing tar up the chimney. VERY dangerous! Wood burning stoves must be operated at high temperature and not allowed to idle with a large log smouldering all night. If you want to do this, build up the charcoal during the evening, then let the charcoal burn all night. Charcoal is near smokeless, and will burn at a very slow rate.

Wood stoves shouldn't smell in the room, if it does it should be looked at. Smells = gas leaks = possible carbon monoxide.

Morso stoves are high quality, well built stoves, and should not smell after it is run in. There could be something wrong with the chimney if it does.

Some stoves (and we've had one) are not well enough built. It should be possible to totally seal the stove so that any air admitted is by the inlet controls only.

It could be that the room is becoming starved of oxygen causing the flue gases to be drawn back down into the room. Do you have the correct type/size and location of air vent?

I think that wood burners require larger vents then gas or oil.

A good point DavidH.

isaidright, how long ago was your stove installed, and was it done by an installer?

The species of wood used is critical - never burn softwoods as these will coat your liner with all kinds of tarry resins.

Ash is best for heat output and longevity of burn. Oak is good but needs at least a year to dry out.

Birch is excellent and can be burned straight away (in the green).

I've also found that it is the blacking products used on cast iron stoves when they are new which give off fumes after the initial burn.

Steve Wiliams[/i]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back