log cabin wall not straight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I just got my log cabin walls installed (haven't started to nail down roof boards). However the top left corner of wall leans inwards a little bit due to a warping log, and the top right corner leans outwards as a result. My question is, how I can correct it? do I have to remove all the logs on the top to take that warping one out to cure? It's a bit difficult to remove the heavy apex by myself only.

Thanks.

IMG_20140516_143558.jpg
[/url]

Sponsored Links
The real problem is that the planks on the left of your window are only 18" long, this edge of the LH wall is not tied to the RH wall. My son in laws shed suffers from this and a rattlely door frame. As far as I can see the only way to fix this is to have a heavy vertical metal strap screwed verticaly inside, to keep all these "short ends" in line. BUT, because these planks expand and contract vertically, the screws need to have washers under their head and the holes in the strap need to be vertical slots, so the planks can move up and down but not side to side.
Frank

Sponsored Links
The real problem is that the planks on the left of your window are only 18" long, this edge of the LH wall is not tied to the RH wall. My son in laws shed suffers from this and a rattlely door frame. As far as I can see the only way to fix this is to have a heavy vertical metal strap screwed verticaly inside, to keep all these "short ends" in line. BUT, because these planks expand and contract vertically, the screws need to have washers under their head and the holes in the strap need to be vertical slots, so the planks can move up and down but not side to side.
Frank

Thanks Frank. I'm using clamps with a stud timber to pull it back, if this will not work after weeks I'll consider metal strap. But as you said the tricky part is to make sure that won't inhibit the planks to settle in long term.

N78yVbIQnyA8iWPcf1KviXvWPpJjeInNoprAN4Dd63onlPvRDUo2hn9VBJZ6YVi5_UplYVbnrfDyrzJT5beVMkFAkD0_8sME

Chang";p="3112096 said:
Frank

Thanks Frank. I'm using clamps with a stud timber to pull it back, if this will not work after weeks I'll consider metal strap. But as you said the tricky part will be to make sure that won't inhibit the planks to settle in long term.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back