Log splitter recommendations (home use)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had 3 large trees felled and some big branches removed from others... Lots of firewood but it's been left in rounds. I want to get it prepped and stored, the guy recommended investing in an electric hydraulic splitter as it's a lot of ax work and we'll have more trees to fell.

He recommended this: http://www.mowdirect.co.uk/al-ko-khs5200-log-splitter.html

In that price bracket... Up to £300, what would people recommend and would this tool be your choice or something else?

Sponsored Links
You'll find it's very slow, might be better to hire in a bigger machine, if you have a decent amount to do?

There are many machines that look similar to this. I suspect that build quality is all similar. I bought one once but sent it back as the on/off switch broke so I couldn't turn it off other than at the plug (which was a long way away from where I'd generally use it). To be honest, I wasn't that impressed anyway - it wasn't particularly quick and it struggled with anything wet or even slightly gnarly. I also seem to remember that it required a 15A supply. The final point to consider is that if your rounds are too big to chop manually, then they're probably going to be heavy and you'll need to be able to lift them up to waist height for a machine like this - I found that removing the legs of the machine helped as rounds could then almost be rolled onto the splitter (but then you have to bend over to operate it).

I probably get through maybe 20 tonnes of firewood a year. I am fortunate enough to have quite a tolerance of what sizes I can burn so I minimise splitting wherever possible. You see a lot of Youtube videos where people turn their firewood into matchsticks before they burn it and I just can't see the point. If I have to split wood, I store it long enough for it to dry out, then I go at it with a maul, and for the really humongous ones, I'll use the chainsaw to rip cut the logs into manageable sizes for splitting - sorry it that's not what you wanted to hear though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back