Using tree branches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I felled an Ash tree and an Apple tree at the weekend - they went down like Fred Dibnah's chimneys. Not a fan of removing them if it can be helped, but they were in an awkward spot and it would be difficult to prune/maintain over the years especially as they grew in size.

I chipped the brash up and will let it rot down into the soil, but I kept the trunks and scaffold branches with the hope of using them as supports for a few log stores, built in triangular shapes. They are fairly straight lengths so I plan on using them to support two sides to the store with tongue and grove screwed in along the sides.

Can they be simply pushed into the ground or should I rest them on concrete slabs? Not sure if they can be set in a bit of postcrete either as I have a few spare bags.

Probably a daft question, but I can't find reference to a similar project online using old tree branches.

Sponsored Links
if you push them into the ground they may become slack over time, and also rot due to wet soil.

if you concrete them in a hole, put a bed of gravel directly under the branches to allow for drainage. otherwise it will also cause rot over time.

you could also bolt them onto a concrete pad/slab using some simple brackets if you'd prefer, then you can treat accordingly in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back