Over hanging trees - prunning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got Ash trees overhanging my garden by a third. If I cut these back to my border there won't be much left as they are growing towards the sun over my garden.

The land which these trees are growing belongs to our county council. They have inspected them and are saying they are not legally obliged to cut them back. But I can get them done myself and toss the branches over onto thier side of the border.

If this is so, do I need a licence to cut them back using machinery and ladders etc. otherwise its going to cost a packet to get someone to do it. These trees are some 30ft tall and some of the branches are dying and break off in the winter gales.

Sponsored Links
If you have the council's permission (in writing for best safety) allowing you to have the work done, and you are confident in your own ability to do the work yourself, go for it!

But, if like me, you have no head for heights, or a bad back, it's not that expensive to get a tree fella in who has all the right gear correctly maintained and knows what he's doing.

And if the branches are of a decent size,you may be able to get rid of them to a local woodturner :D (I have a lathe,and always keep an eye open for any decent bits of wood on offer/going free ;) )

Sponsored Links
utterlydiy said:
Had a couple in and they are basically saying about £300 plus.
and your point is?

look at it this way, if you want quality it costs.

ok so you think its not enough? pay them double

ok so you think its too much, go up the tree fall out and kill yourself

rod hull thought "its only a tv aerial" look what happend to him

basic chainsaw qualifcation course = £700
tree surgery course = £1500
felling course = £500
rope course = £500
chainsaw work in trees = £500

chainsaws, chippers, safety kit etc etc etc. all basic courses and kit needed under health and safety law, plus of course experiance

Now do you want to cut these trees back by hand, or by chainsaw. Do you want to use the chainsaw on a ladder? Do you know the right places to place the ladder. do you know the roperties of the trees when you cut it and how it will act to avoid injury etc etc etc.

£300 is a good price. Or do it yourself choice is yours. But if you hurt/kill injure yourself or a passr by, family member etc, or kill the trees then what?

breezer said:
utterlydiy said:
Had a couple in and they are basically saying about £300 plus.
and your point is?

look at it this way, if you want quality it costs.

ok so you think its not enough? pay them double

ok so you think its too much, go up the tree fall out and kill yourself

rod hull thought "its only a tv aerial" look what happend to him
ha ha ha breezer well said

Remember that legally you have to give the council whatever you cut off or they can sue you, as the trees are their property!!!

Hmmm, I don't know about this. Firstly if your trees over hang council property, then you will be told to cut them back at your own expense. (Case of double standards here?) Secondly you say that some of the branches are dying and falling off, in that case, I would say that the council could well batting on a sticky wicket with regards to potential liability if anyone / thing gets hurt.

If I was you I would apply gentle persuassion, and get them to cut them back, or failing that cut them back hard, and block the pavement with the detritus, after all, it's legally their's :eek:

If you want to cut the trees down, ie fell them, then you will need a felling licence from the forestry commission if they exceed a certain size. However, cutting them down to say 6 inch stumps will encourage regrowth of several smaller stems. If you are going to cut them down, or any part of them, it would be a good thing to do to get the council to agree you can have the wood. They probably won't want it anyway.

Eddie M,

The trees are rooted on land owned by the County Council.

Also the land has a public right way (footpath) on the other side of these trees away from my garden. The Council say they have a small budget and will have to consider if any funds are available to cut the trees.

The danger is that some of the branches already thrown over onto the Councils land, the children are using them for making jumps for thier bikes.

This was some two weeks ago, nothing heard from the Council since.

Cor blimey, talk about making a drama out of a crisis!

Tree Surgery *can be very dangerous, granted, and to point out the pitfalls is worthy but slating the guy because he thinks he's overpaying is a bit harsh. Doesn't every business have it's set up costs, it's training costs and it's insurance premiums? Add all the course costs together and lets say for arguments sake a Tree Surgeon is in business for 10 years, that works out at £7 only a day!

*Climbing trees with no tie ins, dropping stuff with no designated clear area underneath is dangerous. Lopping a few branches off whilst taking reklevant precautions isn't!

PS: Rod Hull took no safety measures, a completely different scaremongering scenario!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back