London Brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a had question. I am putting some shelves up. I need screws for the bracket so I can screw it onto the shelf. I am using London Brackets (hole size - 4mm). Will it be alright if I use 3mm x 12mm screws or does the head screw size need to be 4mm? The thickness of the shelf is 16mm.

Sponsored Links
Screw sizes do not refer to the head.

The head needs to be large enough not to go through the hole - washers can be used.

You arent going to be able to get very big screws given how short they will have to be.

They are ony there to stop the shelf moving forward - put the screws against the front edge of the holes.

Hi. Are you sure? What does the size 4mm mean then? The sizes are written as 4mm x 12mm. I am assuming the 12mm is the length of the screw and the 4mm is the head size.

On the London Bracket description it says this:
Each bracket has 6 x 4mm holes to accept 4.0mm [imperial size 8] screws.

Think about it - if a bracket has holes x mm in diameter, what use are screws with x mm heads?

Sponsored Links
Screw Diameter = Size 8 or now in metric 4mm
This screwsize table may help, I'm not sure what site i got that from a few years ago, but have it printed out on my tool/screwbox, along with rawlplug info

Attachments

• Woodscrew-size-conversion-chart.pdf
    103.8 KB · Views: 213
Screw Diameter = Size 8 or now in metric 4mm
This screwsize table may help, I'm not sure what site i got that from a few years ago, but have it printed out on my tool/screwbox, along with rawlplug info
Didn’t understand one bit of it

It is a pozi head. I think it should be fine. Should I go for 13mm instead? So: 4mm x 13mm

Does that sound good? Also do you measure screws from the head to the end?

I have attached a picture of the screws

Attachments

• 3443AB7F-7AA6-4958-95EA-AEC45947E935.png
    3443AB7F-7AA6-4958-95EA-AEC45947E935.png
    528.8 KB · Views: 59
Should be the length from where the screw would normally come to rest, and the tip. So countersunk woodscrews, from the flat of the head. Raised countersunk, from where the countersinking ends. Cheese/button/pan/round/etc, from the underside of the head.

Countersunk are not the right sort for this application.

No way are the screws in that photo 4x16.

It is a pozi head. I think it should be fine. Should I go for 13mm instead? So: 4mm x 13mm

Does that sound good? Also do you measure screws from the head to the end?

I have attached a picture of the screws
Should be the length from where the screw would normally come to rest, and the tip. So countersunk woodscrews, from the flat of the head. Raised countersunk, from where the countersinking ends. Cheese/button/pan/round/etc, from the underside of the head.

Countersunk are not the right sort for this application.

No way are the screws in that photo 4x16.
This is the name of the screws: MULTI PURPOSE WOOD SCREWS POZI

Remember I am getting screws with 13mm in length. I am sure these would be fine for the shelves. I have discussed it with the seller.

I am going to use London Brackets. What size would be recommended? I have attached a picture of the sizes.

I was thinking of: 150mm x 125mm

Attachments

• 22F46F27-B94E-46F7-AC76-C5C7220DE6C8.png
    22F46F27-B94E-46F7-AC76-C5C7220DE6C8.png
    119.8 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
Back