90° sturdy shelf bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to securely fix a substantial shelf to a wall and it's important that the shelf is horizontal. I purchased some sturdy brackets from a local hardware shop, I suspect they were the same that Screwfix sell at https://www.screwfix.com/p/hi-load-mitred-shelf-brackets-white-300-x-300mm-10-pack/135vj . Once the shelf was up, I checked it was horizontal with a spirit level and it was not, the wall was perfectly vertical though. Confused, I checked the brackets with a set square and sure enough, they were not square! The one star review on that Screwfix page suggests they're about 93° which sounds about right. All of the brackets were the same and I assume it's by design.

Can anyone explain why these brackets are made this way and, more importantly, suggest where I can find some similar looking brackets that are square? The London style aren't sturdy enough and I'd prefer not to use spur shelving as I don't need the shelf to be adjustable in height and I think it looks a bit clumsy otherwise. It seems that everywhere sells the same three options for shelving brackets! The horizontal needs to be around 300mm.

Thanks in anticipation!

Sponsored Links
The additional 3° just allows them to be loaded though doesn't it? Then after they're loaded down they'll be down nearer 90°.

I did think of that but this design is so substantial, I can't imagine they'll ever move that much...

They have a capacity of 50kg, it seems pretty reasonable to think they'd deflect by 3° with that kind of load hanging on them.

Sponsored Links
Maybe the intention was that the shelves should have a slight slope towards the wall to reduce the risk of any round objects rolling off the shelf.

Could you put a spacer between shelf and bracket ?

They may also sink a fraction of mm into wall plaster when screwed in hard, the extra compensates for this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back