long stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having to build quite a long wall, 10m x 3m. using 3m x 1.2m board. doing the studs at 600 centres. should I do some slightly bigger (601) do allow for errors when putting the board on.

Sponsored Links
In terms of accuracy, the position of the in-between studs don't matter as much, but the studs where the boards join must be bang-on. Measure all the stud centres from one end of the wall, not from the previous stud which can result in creeping cumulative errors. When the studs are installed use a Sharpie to mark the centre line of studs on the floor - this (and a laser level) will make the task of "blind screwing" the wall cladding to the studs a bit easier. The wall might be more stable if the boards were laid horizontally, in brick pattern, although the downside of that is that it might require more cuts. Are you fixing to a ceiling?

will be using 3m x 1.2m tappered edge, the wall is 3m high. There is a 3m high suspended ceiling and that will sort of rest on. There is also some big girders igh up that I could possibly get a angled brace onto

So back to my question, if starting from a 90º vertical wall. I would measure exactly 9600 to the centre of the stud for my last board. I would not allow a liitle bit extra along the way to allow for boards not put on precisly or errors in board size. (leaving a 0.5mm between boards would not cause a problem, but can't mke a board 1mm narrower.

Out of curiosity how much time would such a wall take an experienced joiner and roughly what would they charge per hour. there is a 10m wall and a 6m wall (studs only (in nogins), (it has taken me a whopping 12 hours to do just the 6m wall
(i'm doing the work for free (they're providing the timber) just curious as to how much I'm saving them)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
can no one give a ball park time an experianced joiner would take to knock up a wall like above?

16 metres of wall framing - I'd budget about 1 to 2 man days to frame out if I were really going at it, with a labourer to help raise the frames into place. That's assuming that you are using 3.2 metre timbers to make the framing, and it's being made up on the floor as something like 6 separate frames on the floor and raised into position, then fixed. If you can't cut and assemble in situ or you have to make it up vertically it will take longer. Door openings also add to the time as they can be relatively labour intensive. To board out I'd budget 1-1/2 days to board out (single side) simply because you are up and down ladders with the top cuts.

The foregoing is assuming I have an SDS (to fix the sole plate down, assuming concrete), chop saw, cordless circ saw and a framing nailer. Boarding would be done using a collated driver. All assuming no oddities in wall shapes, floor and ceiling not diverging too much, materials stacked ready to go, not having to fix the header into steel, etc. Based on having done two double-sided infills between two shop units last year which were a bit bigger than yours (14 no x 2.4 metre frames x 4 metres high)

As FMT says, it isn't easy to quote without actually seeing the job in person

As to daily rates, they vary a heck of a lot. We are currently in the "happy time" when all the schools and colleges get work done, there is a shortage of skilled trades, and even the agencies are offering £25/hour and above for day work. Independents generally charge more than that, with rates in my area now being £250 to £300/day, I'm told

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back