Long term photo and video archive

WSB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Currently I store all my digital photos and videos on a couple of ext HDD devices. One is WD and other is Seagate.
Both are fine but I'd like to backup what I have on those devices onto another device (s).
Aside from the cloud, wanted to know star my best option is?
Keep reading about SSDs having limited read/writes but I'd just be writing all these files once and that's it. Not deleting and writing again.
Anyway, what's my best options folks?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Why not cloud? Seems an obvious choice, I always tend to maintain local backups AND backup to cloud. Local backup is great for rapid access but cloud is there for security - theft, fire, etc.

Not sure why you would want 2 local backups unless you plan to take one offsite, but then you need a maintenance strategy to keep it up to date.

Last edited:
I use a NAS drive from Synology backed up to a USB drive located elsewhere. Never heard of SSD having limited read writes, wouldn't really make sense for solid state ?

• Thanks
Reactions: WSB
Sponsored Links
If a photo really needs to be kept then a hard copy will outlast any digital storage method which will always fail at some point.

• Thanks
If a photo really needs to be kept then a hard copy will outlast any digital storage method which will always fail at some point.
Which is why you always have digital backups. In the same way as you should if hard copy is the only copy you have...

• Thanks
I have a Lot of photos and videos. Got shelves of paper copies when I was pre digital. Just need a large and long lasting hardware storage solution.

Back