Long waste run

Just been looking through Part H, have not found the flow rates as yet but found this:-

"If the figures in tabe 2 (basically suggesting that the run should be no more then 4m) are exceeded, the branch pipe should be ventillated by a branch ventilating pipe to external air, to a ventilating stack or internally by use of an air admittance valve)"

Just to add, the grohtherm shower is 18 l per minute

Sponsored Links
Just spoken to Building control and the guy suggests that the pipe run is acceptible provided there is a rodding access in th erun, which I can do in two positions, (beginning of run and change of direction)

Also mentioned drilling the RSJ, he mentioned that it is better to drill into the Web more towards the centre of the span which I can do no problem.

Bit late picking up on this one but the maximum lengths referred to on page 9, Part H are for unvented branches & is specifically to prevent the traps siphoning; a vented branch can be much longer. I've had a quick look but cant find anything specific as to the maximum length for 50mm waste but longer than 15m @ 32mm is mentioned in clause 1.24 so one assumes 50mm can be much longer!

I wasn't concerned about the length of the run, but whether it would take the volume. Some power showers use a lot of water.

Sponsored Links
Bit late picking up on this one but the maximum lengths referred to on page 9, Part H are for unvented branches & is specifically to prevent the traps siphoning; a vented branch can be much longer. I've had a quick look but cant find anything specific as to the maximum length for 50mm waste but longer than 15m @ 32mm is mentioned in clause 1.24 so one assumes 50mm can be much longer!

You can be as late as you like ;)

Yes, read what you advise and you're right, it's not quite specific enough is it.

Right, here's the big question Richard, what would you do?

I wasn't concerned about the length of the run, but whether it would take the volume. Some power showers use a lot of water.

Yeah, I understand that, as the Shower is only producing 18l per minute, do we get a thumbs up.

Really appreciate the advice here Fellas by the way

Thanks to everyone giving advise on this thread.

Just ordered the Wet room tray and what not. Hoping to make a start on this on Monday

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I was looking at one yesterday, Impey make them as part of their packages, works slightly differently as the flow is checked on the supply pipes to the shower valve.

Any reason why you wouldn't suggest the long run of 50mm pipe??
Only the issue with the RSJ really, and then the job of cutting with a holesaw. Only done such stuff with a "gas axe" . I did some work for the Nat. Trust around that time ....At Uppark ( Hampshire I think) ;)

I wasn't too worried about the drilling but be sure to expect a post about it on Monday :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back