Longer lorries.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I can't see the point in longer lorries if they are not allowed to carry heavier loads.
Aren't the loads already heavy enough, without increasing them, to continually damage the roads anyway?
It doesn't make sense to me.

Sponsored Links
The longer lorries will still have the same 44-tonne weight limit as those using standard trailers.

This is about bulky, lightweight goods, e.g. corn flakes and toys. They are currently filling the full volume of an existing truck while being underweight.

The issue is whether they'll physically fit into British streets. Retailers need their massive trucks to deliver to their stores, some of which are in small towns and can be down some pretty pokey streets. There are youtube videos of trucks doing multi-point turns across main roads in order to get into a loading bay for a shop, holding up traffic both ways while they shuffle about. This will become more common.

There's also a separate call for the weight limit to be increased from 44 tons to 48. But if this is done then they'll probably keep the weight per wheel similar - they'll just add more wheels. So the pressure exerted on the road will remain the same.

The longer lorries will still have the same 44-tonne weight limit as those using standard trailers.

This is about bulky, lightweight goods, e.g. corn flakes and toys. They are currently filling the full volume of an existing truck while being underweight.

The issue is whether they'll physically fit into British streets. Retailers need their massive trucks to deliver to their stores, some of which are in small towns and can be down some pretty pokey streets. There are youtube videos of trucks doing multi-point turns across main roads in order to get into a loading bay for a shop, holding up traffic both ways while they shuffle about. This will become more common.

There's also a separate call for the weight limit to be increased from 44 tons to 48. But if this is done then they'll probably keep the weight per wheel similar - they'll just add more wheels. So the pressure exerted on the road will remain the same.

Coincidentally I saw a lorry and trailer in Howdens the other day which struck me as being bigger than usual. Although they shift a lot of doors the pre assembled kitchen cabinets are obviously all bulk and no weight. Most of the Howdens stores I've come across tend to be in inustrial areas and have a decent sized yard.

Makes sense for them.

Sponsored Links
big blue.jpg

Coincidentally I saw a lorry and trailer in Howdens the other day which struck me as being bigger than usual. Although they shift a lot of doors the pre assembled kitchen cabinets are obviously all bulk and no weight. Most of the Howdens stores I've come across tend to be in inustrial areas and have a decent sized yard.

Makes sense for them.

Can't see how, unless Howdens' yards are separate from the UK road network.

And have you seen the parking abandonment on the average UK industrial estate?
You can barely get a car around some, let alone a lorry.

I'm C+E qualified & do approx 1000mls a year as one of the pool drivers for a motorsports tractor & trailor rig to circuits around the UK.

I know next to nothing about LGV's other than that which I have been taught & from the questions I have sought answers too. Do any of you know much more than this article in your MSM???

The tractor is a 700hp Merc Actros with 2 drive axles, the trailor is a double decker, custom built on a commercial chassis. We asked for, specified & have been assured that it is the biggest possible trailor allowed for general use in the UK & Europe.

It doesn't go anywhere if a route hasn't been planned. It will never have to reverse out of your suburban cul=de-sac & it will never have to perform a 3 point turn on your High St.

What chuffin planet do some of you live on???

I can't see the point in longer lorries if they are not allowed to carry heavier loads.
Aren't the loads already heavy enough, without increasing them, to continually damage the roads anyway?
It doesn't make sense to me.

May well be..... but mars bars marathons and twix are much smaller.

And have you see the size of Shreded wheat?

Last edited:
May well be..... but mars bars marathons and twix are much smaller.

And have you see the size of Shreded wheat?
I eat 2 every morning. Now I can see how Beefy Botham easily managed 3! :LOL: :LOL:

Can't see how, unless Howdens' yards are separate from the UK road network.

And have you seen the parking abandonment on the average UK industrial estate?
You can barely get a car around some, let alone a lorry.

I'm guessing you drive a Nissan Micra and wet your pants at the sight of traffic.

may be not. as a rough guide it normally works out about 8t per axle (a bit more drive axle a bit less steering) but a typical 6 axle wagon could probably run at 48 to 50t if taking every axle up to max. problem is, loading them so as not to overload individual axles. When running at 44t, it is much easier not to overload individual axles.

so yes, more road damage likely.

Scrap HS2 and expand local railways instead. Goods warehouses at each station.

Scrap HS2 and expand local railways instead. Goods warehouses at each station.
part of the great HS2 plan was to free up local railway for the likes of freight.

But generally speaking in such a small country as the UK, freight on the rail does not work, all the goods have to be taken by lorry to a rail depot, reloaded onto a train, then at the other end of the line, unloaded back onto a wagon then delivered via road to customer.

Rail freight works in the likes of Aus and the US where journeys can be a few thousand miles. In the UK, it is more likely 150mile, may as well just do the whole thing on a lorry, saves a lot of loading unloading....

Sponsored Links
Back