Looking for 4-way 250v rotary switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for a 4-way 250v rotary switch (3-way/off) to modify a cooker hood - the original switch control has broken because it's a rubbish design and it's impossible to replace. A mod using a rotary switch is needed but I can't find a suitable switch at any of the usual retailers! I can find many wholesalers' product lists which show suitable switches but where to buy just one at a reasonable price?

A used one taken from a switchgear panel would be fine if only I could find one. Can anybody help please?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
RS do 32 different four position rotary switches, Farnell do 29.

Are none of these any good. (Tick 4 position, then apply)

The second one (HS13Z) looks promising in that it's nice and chunky and relatively inexpensive.

The second one (HS13Z) looks promising in that it's nice and chunky and relatively inexpensive.

Other than the fee for importing from the US and not meeting the minimum order value (okay, it probably would with that ridiculous charge applied).

Some information about the make of hood, maybe a picture might help to lead you to a source of the "original" switch.

How many poles it is ?

If fan and lights are controlled independently then it is likely to be a two pole 4 position switch

The speed control may require 2 pole switching in which case the switch may need to be three pole.

RS do 32 different four position rotary switches, Farnell do 29.

Are none of these any good. (Tick 4 position, then apply)

As monkeh says, it's in the US and the cost of getting it is outrageously expensive.

Oops, missed that. Hey ho, there's another 28 to look at!

Expensive or very low current, would require relays to switch the load, but that's not a hugely expensive proposition at ~£1.50 for a switch and relays at around 60p. Just needs any old spare wart for a DC supply.

I agree with bernard about needing multiple poles. Not a big issue with low current switches and relays.

Just remembered.

The switch is likely to need to be break before make if it is switching supply to the coils in the fan motor. Or it may need to be make before break for some electronic speed controllers.

It isn't a case of any rotary switch will do.

break before make. = one circuit is OFF before the next one goes ON as the switch is turned from one position to the next

make before break = the next circuit is ON before the last one is OFF

Some information about the make of hood, maybe a picture might help to lead you to a source of the "original" switch.

How many poles it is ?

If fan and lights are controlled independently then it is likely to be a two pole 4 position switch

The speed control may require 2 pole switching in which case the switch may need to be three pole.
Yes, sorry I didn't give more info.
It's a Hotpoint hood and, yes, the speed does need 2-pole switching.
The switch itself is fine: it's the flimsy plastic assembly that connects it to the front panel lever that's fallen apart.
I've tried to think of a way of mounting the switch on the side panel but it doesn't lend itself to easy mounting.

The switch itself is fine: it's the flimsy plastic assembly that connects it to the front panel lever that's fallen apart.
I've tried to think of a way of mounting the switch on the side panel but it doesn't lend itself to easy mounting.
Photos would help - someone might be able to suggest something.

Something like this is what I had in mind.

The hood has been reassembled with the speed set at medium. I'll have to take it apart again if you want me to photograph the inside.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back