non rotary LED dimmer module for two way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for some LED dimmers that will work on 2-way switching with a normal toggle switch on the other end...

And the wife doesn't want the rotary type...

Looking at 5 circuits in total, ranging from 2 * 7.5w dimmable leds to 7*7.5 dimmable leds

Ideally looking at grid based system or system that does plates and grids (some places will have straight toggle switches rather then dimmable.

Most of the ones i find work as two way only with master and slave of the same type. What i am looking to have is dimmer on one side and then a relay on the other acting as if it is the other part of a two way switch setup.

Anyone point me to some decently priced switch plates/modules?

Sponsored Links
What is special about the switch at the other end? The Danlers dimmer you linked can have standard retractive switches as the slaves if that helps at all?

Sponsored Links
Most of the "touch" dimmers only work with a specific slave dimmer at the other end of a two-way switching arrangement.

In fact, I have not come across one that does.

I'm looking for some LED dimmers that will work on 2-way switching with a normal toggle switch on the other end...

And the wife doesn't want the rotary type...
Do either of you want the system whereby if you turn it on with the normal switch and the level is wrong you have to walk over to the dimmer, thus negating the point of 2-way switching?

What i am looking to have is dimmer on one side and then a relay on the other acting as if it is the other part of a two way switch setup.
How and where will you control the relay?

She wants a touch, i want the relay - BAS - more likely the dimmer will be set and left, with the relay being the main control.

Eventually the relays will be connected via my alarm system using a raspberrypi in between such that the pir for a given room, will allow for the light in that room to come on if its dark enough.

For a relay to work you need to be able to turn the coil on and off - how and where?

And I strongly advise installing wiring for switches to replace the PIRs when you cannot stand them any longer.

But I have my doubts - I can't work out exactly what you want to do, but it sounds very much like you plan to build a solution in search of a problem.

The control will be as follows

Raspberrypi will act as brain - look at various parameters and decide on actions.

Will be linked through i2c to byvac 5v relay board.

The 5v relay board will energise switchtech scrl2 240v latching relays.

The need for two sets of relays: 5v works directly with the pi without need for opto isolation etc, but I'd rather not leave a relay energised all the time. I pulse the byvac which changes the state of the latching switchtech one.

I'm hoping to use opengalaxy to read various parameters from my Honeywell galaxy alarm system(pir status for example) to feed into the raspberry pi along with some ldrs and the internet for things like sunset/sunrise times, weather conditions etc.

At the same time there will be switches on the wall, hence the whole point of this thread... What switches if any can I look to get?

To some extent I am creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist... But then so did apple with the iPad... Look where it got them!

Any of the automation I am looking to do will be completely and easily removable if needed without the need to understand everything, or can leave in place and disable. A "normal" alternative will be in place in the usual places one would expect to find them. Eg a manual switch at the entrance to a room.

Raspberrypi will act as brain - look at various parameters and decide on actions.
You already have one of those, immensely more powerful and adaptable than a Rp, and perfectly capable of deciding whether you need lighting with virtually no conscious action.

The basic model serves billions of people very well, and allows them to carry out tasks of a level of complexity almost infinitely greater than "Is it dark enough for me to turn on the lights in the room I have just entered?".

To some extent I am creating a solution to a problem that doesn't exist
To some extent?
1+%28528%29.jpg

But then so did apple with the iPad... Look where it got them!
FGS.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back