looking for a decent drill!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good evening all.any body got any ideas as to which drill to go for.looking for one that'll go through walls like butter ;) mi dad borrowed me a HILTI(F***IN DOGS T*******S) which he lent from work but they break the budget a bit.was gonna get one of those cheapos(jcb) but i dont think they'll last(someones gonna prove me wrong now :oops: ).is there any particular shop thats cheapest?thanks up front for anybodys opinion :)

Sponsored Links
Hilti are one of the best you can buy! bit pricey for DIY though.

I find B&Q warehouse are OK for power tools, plenty of choice and not bad for prices. Depends what you want to pay, I have found the ryobi tools to be quite good for the price. Their home brands also have quite a good warranty for the price.

Like all tools, it's horses for courses really. What type of drill you require depends on what you want to do with it. If you want to drills holes in hard walls, then cordless drills aren't that good. If you want an Drill driver then SDS drills aren't a good idea. Personally as a DIY'er I have 3 drills

A Bosch 18V Cordless
A Corded Black 'n' Decker .. ok this ones a bit rubbish !!
A FERM SDS Plus (I'm sure it's not the best, but at £29.99 who cares!! I works ok, and I don't use it that often, when it breaks I'll get a new one)

Another thing to consider is the bits you use in the drill, an expensive drill with cheap nasty bits will be as usless as a cheap drill.

Addionally, for driving, I found changing from mild steel driver bits to TiN (Titanium nitride) coated bits, has made a huge difference, hope this helps a bit.

Bosch are good, and I try to buy their tools when budget and availabilty at the time I need it apply.

However, I bought a Black & Decker hammer drill when I first started DIY some twentyfive years ago now I guess, and have only just replaced it. It worked fine all that time and has really been abused. Only got rid because the chuck jammed and I had to hit the key with a hammer to loosen or tighten (ok that was cruelty, but if you need to drill a hole then and there, what are you supposed to do?)

The replacement I got from B&Q and although I didn't realise, it came in a box stuffed with drill bits etc. Have used it a few times and I must say I prefer the B&Decker.

I also have a B&Decker cordless drill/screwdriver and it has quite often nearly turned into an aeroplane. The battery lasts negative time even from a full over night charge. And it you have a lot to do - like fixing the garden fence in a gale - you need a bit longer battery power.

To counter that I have bought a CORDED screwdriver, which I like except it has a hexagonal plug-in chuck and I can't fit my drill bits in it. Doh!

Sponsored Links
dunc21 said:
Only got rid because the chuck jammed and I had to hit the key with a hammer to loosen or tighten (ok that was cruelty, but if you need to drill a hole then and there, what are you supposed to do?)
Take the chuck apart and soak it in a cup with penetrating oil, brick dusts build up caused this.

You can get a very good Dewalt SDS drill for around £130 . Bosch are also very good and you will find that most Tradesman have one or the other for everyday use because they do the job well and they last.

thanks for the replies folks! :) i've been looking at the bosch and dewalt ones today and i'm gonna haave a think about it.the bosch sds GBH 2-24DSR looks pretty neat.also there's a dewalt one about the same price(£130ish-screwfix).missus doesn't know the price mindst :LOL: that hilti i borrowed of my dad was the biz.i used it to go through the wall to feed copper pipe through(outside tap) with absolute minimal effort but bosch and dewalt have good reputations so i think its gonna be one of those when i've got enough pennies.thanks

You are making a good choice with either, I presumed from your previous post you were looking for a cheaper drill. I personally like Makitta drills which are quite light. Do a search you may get them for less than screwfix.

Drills such as hilti's are great, but more often used on site for concrete etc, they can have a tendency to burst house bricks.

I have used an hitachi for some 15 years now, 6 of those on a daily basis as a kitchen fitter. It still works fine despite being submerged once in a puddle and suffering the usual abuse; no chuck key! wheres me ammer?.
Bosh are very good, but buy the blue ones and not the green if you can as the green ones are made for diy and the guarantee becomes a grey area.
I am looking for an sds myself at present and will go for de walt, bosh or freud though the range of sds bits are mind boggling - sds +, sds max, etc. I understand that they are not all interchangeable and this can present problems with availability and price.
I had a company recommended to me called 'toolstation' which i have used and found them exellent, both in product range and service. I ordered online and the tools the next day, which is good considering i live on the isle of wight and that little bit of water called the solent usually adds a day on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back