Looking for a simple to use wired programmer and thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Bosch combi 532i with an over complicated british gas wireless programmer/wall stat. I would like to replace it with a wired alternative that is simple to use and does not rely on wifi communication. I realise this will involve lifting floorboards and drilling walls but would prefer a cable option. What units are on the market and do I need a seperate wallstat or is there a combined option?

Sponsored Links
I would like to replace it with a wired alternative that is simple to use and does not rely on wifi communication. I realise this will involve lifting floorboards and drilling walls
You could us an RF thermostat, not the same as a Wifi thermostat, without running any cables, maybe if you post a pic of what you have and why you want to swap it, you will get better advice

As previously metioned I have a worcester bosch 532i or rebadged british gas wb combi boiler. I would like to replace the current programmer/room stat with a wired alternative if I need to have a seperate programmer and thermostat than so be it. Pics below of the current setup.

Attachments

• IMG_5098.JPG
    IMG_5098.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_5099.JPG
    IMG_5099.JPG
    139.3 KB · Views: 189
Sponsored Links
https://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywel...iB9R2sefvTs-WcgUJyRoC6RYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

or

https://www.heatingcontrolsonline.c...ss-randall-tpone-programmable-thermostat.html

although ease of use is user dependant, i used to have an old salus unit, and everyone complained about how difficult it was to programme, however i thought it was straight forward and simple.

the danfoss appears to be easy to use as it has easy short cut keys and arrows to guide through the menu system. and should be intuitive. the honeywell is similar and smaller.

I use Nest Gen 3, all hard wired, easy to use (not quite so easy to set up) simple dial and display in centre. Yes it can use wifi and other wireless links, but it does not need to use them.

But the main consideration has to be the boiler. Worcester Bosch is not as far as I know OpenTherm, some Worcester Bosch can use their own ebus controls, but as far as I am aware the boiler you have is controlled by the return water temperature and the external thermostat is only there to stop boiler cycling when warmer weather arrives.

So the TRV's control room temperature, and the wall thermostat is placed in a room normally kept cool, on ground floor, with no outside doors, and no alternative heating, if such a room exists, so why does it need to be easy to use, when in real terms not touched for months.

If my boiler was a Worcester Bosch modulating boiler then likely would use a very simple wall thermostat, hard wired as you want it to switch as little as possible, £12 from Screwfix, Flomasta EMP912MT if I wanted to program the heating then the Flomasta 22199SX but the latter is not what I would say is easy to use.

So in a care home the heating is on 24/7 and it does not need any timer, but most other homes want some sort of timed control, I don't like it warm at night, but do want it warm in the day, so easy of use, Nest remembers what settings I have used in the past and can learn what I want without my needing to go into settings, can you really get it easier than this Bacteria Prevention.jpg large display, and simple turn dial on outside, and it learns what you want. But not cheap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back