Looking for a suitable domestic dehumidifier

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
Now having a need for a dehumidifier for domestic purposes, I've made a start looking around by means of google & ebay searches, but am having trouble getting past the specifications being either "apples or oranges", to the extent it makes it impossible to make a meaningful comparison. E.g. one company says that there's is suitable for a three bedroom semi. - But why would I want to dehumidify all of the house @ one go?? To me it seems to make far more sense to deal with one problem room @ a time!
Others talk in terms of extracting X litres/day, but these are only numbers to me! (so if anybody can recommend a desirable range of extraction rates, that would help a great deal). At this stage I can only say my use is primarily for my smallish bathroom which has started to develop some mildew on the ceiling (& while an extractor fan would probably be a better solution, they don't come cheap, especially when installing one from scratch!). And while I don't want a dehumidifier so inadequate for the job that it takes forever (& theeby costs more to run!) to dry a room, I think I'd prefer one that has enough reserve power to do the job comfortably. Apart from that, some power selectors/timers & some means of switching itself off when the tank is full, etc. seem desirable.
If I'm going down the road of getting a dehumidifier, then if it fulfills a couple of other purposes that would help i.e. being able to set up the dehumidifier beside a clothes horse in a small room so that I can dry out clothing more quickly in winter time. Also, is the water that the dehumidifier extracts demineralised? The reason for that is I can never get enough from the fridge to run a small domestic steam cleaner.
In the specifications of some dehumidifiers I've seen, they refer to carbon filters etc. Which leads to the question - Do dehumidifiers require much in the way of servicing or are they simply "use & forget"?
While I don't know which are the best brands (or sources to obtain them [I live in N.E. Sheffield ]), @ this stage, I'd prefer not to go over £100.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jim

Sponsored Links
Where is the water coming from?
I would be looking at the source of the water before attempting to remove it from the air. You say an extractor is expensive but surely cheaper in the long run...

Sponsored Links
Hi!
Now having a need for a dehumidifier for domestic purposes, I've made a start looking around by means of google & ebay searches, but am having trouble getting past the specifications being either "apples or oranges", to the extent it makes it impossible to make a meaningful comparison. E.g. one company says that there's is suitable for a three bedroom semi. - But why would I want to dehumidify all of the house @ one go?? To me it seems to make far more sense to deal with one problem room @ a time!
Others talk in terms of extracting X litres/day, but these are only numbers to me! (so if anybody can recommend a desirable range of extraction rates, that would help a great deal). At this stage I can only say my use is primarily for my smallish bathroom which has started to develop some mildew on the ceiling (& while an extractor fan would probably be a better solution, they don't come cheap, especially when installing one from scratch!). And while I don't want a dehumidifier so inadequate for the job that it takes forever (& theeby costs more to run!) to dry a room, I think I'd prefer one that has enough reserve power to do the job comfortably. Apart from that, some power selectors/timers & some means of switching itself off when the tank is full, etc. seem desirable.
If I'm going down the road of getting a dehumidifier, then if it fulfills a couple of other purposes that would help i.e. being able to set up the dehumidifier beside a clothes horse in a small room so that I can dry out clothing more quickly in winter time. Also, is the water that the dehumidifier extracts demineralised? The reason for that is I can never get enough from the fridge to run a small domestic steam cleaner.
In the specifications of some dehumidifiers I've seen, they refer to carbon filters etc. Which leads to the question - Do dehumidifiers require much in the way of servicing or are they simply "use & forget"?
While I don't know which are the best brands (or sources to obtain them [I live in N.E. Sheffield ]), @ this stage, I'd prefer not to go over £100.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Jim

This is an old post but I would be interested to see more replies as I am also looking for similar answers. I need a recommendation for a dehumidifier for a 1 bed flat we own. My son does not open windows and dries washing in flat so I want to provide a dehumidifier costing as little as possible. It really only needs to sort the room where the washing is hung about 18 ft sq.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back