Can you get small, external draining fixed dehumidifiers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My garage is actually a Victorian coach-house(!) and suffers quite badly with damp which is not good for storing tools and suppliers. A refit isn't feasible right now so I was wondering about a dehumidifier, but I don't really want one taking up space and I don't want to have to keep emptying it.

I can find wall-mounted units but what I was picturing was something more like an extractor fan which is installed into the wall and drains externally so it can run 24/7. Does this sort of thing exist, at least without buying some very expensive commercial unit which would be overkill?

Sponsored Links
I've not seen anything that installs into the wall. Because dehumidifiers contain a refrigeration system / cooling coil, the dehumidifying mechanism is quite bulky so it's probably not practical.

Dimplex and Eco Air both make wall mounting dehumidifiers, and whilst they do have a storage tank, they also have the option to attach a tube to allow condensate to drain outside.

I was thinking the small units you can get with 500ml tanks can't be much bigger than a DMEV internally but then I guess they are pretty useless so this makes sense that there is a size restriction.

So if I got a larger one with a wall-mount option I guess it's as simple as drill a 10mm hole through the wall, maybe angled down and into a drainpipe or something?

Sponsored Links
Sounds about right. it might even be a bit less, 6mm? It's a while since I've seen one, and my memory is getting a bit dodgy these days :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back