Looking for advice Good bad or ugly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at this stage of connection, anybody know if this is likely to work??? and also, i was going to add a 90 degree elbow? or a knuckle bend ?? to the Y branch to add my Gulley, and a 15 degree at the back where underground will meet the surface connection to the soil stack , to push it further back to the wall and make it a straight connection...for the roddable access....any and all comments welcome, i am happy for admin to delete my other thread started. thank you
20200512_155836.jpg
20200512_155843.jpg
20200512_155853.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
That will be ok, just bring the whole lot round slightly so the bend into the clay lines up properly. Concentrate on getting the rest bed and associated pipework into the right position, (i.e. so the vertical section is vertical, and in the correct position off the wall to take the soil pipe going up the wall and clipped as required.) Using a spigot ended junction would give you a bit more wriggle room.

Once that lot is in position, come back and connect up your gulley as required, making sure the soil pipework doesn't lose positioning. The gulley pipework is only carrying water so isn't quite so critical.

Sponsored Links
That will be ok, just bring the whole lot round slightly so the bend into the clay lines up properly. Concentrate on getting the rest bed and associated pipework into the right position, (i.e. so the vertical section is vertical, and in the correct position off the wall to take the soil pipe going up the wall and clipped as required.) Using a spigot ended junction would give you a bit more wriggle room.

Once that lot is in position, come back and connect up your gulley as required, making sure the soil pipework doesn't lose positioning. The gulley pipework is only carrying water so isn't quite so critical.

Hi Hugh, thanks for the reply, the difficulty i have with lining up the rest bend is, the whole lot drops, what i have done is, stick a spirit level in the pipe, then follow that gradient, so it all flows nice, but when i do that, it pulls the rest bend and underground connection pipe away from the wall, just thinking gradient is more important that the other, can i ask what fitting i would need to connect that gulley please, and i am going to get a new Junction, i just wanted to mock it up best i can, and the piece of pipe i put in to joint the two, may cause an issue, can i ask as well, when i bed this in, do i put Pea Gravel under and over the whole pipe? and if so to what depth? and then just baack fill as normal? or just chuck the lot in carefully ? thank Hugh, always appreciate the help..

Twist the 15deg bend if need be, you want a slight gradient on your new section, but bear in mind the velocity of the falling waste coming round the rest bend from above, you dont have to go to town. 5mm fall over the whole lot would be more than ample.

Looking at what you've got now, have to wonder if you'd be better using a 90° junction, point the branch upwards, put a spigot ended 90° bend into that, then run horizontally to your gully. Appreciate it's a pain to line everything up, I'm used to working with a selection of bends, and using the ones I need.

Might be worth asking if you can buy a few different bends, and return unused ones afterwards, (as long as they're clean!), for a credit.

I'd stick a bit of concrete under and around the rest bend to hold it in position, then some peagravel underneath, and around the rest of the visible pipework to give it a bit of protection, then first layer of backfill, go for finer material, no big lumps or stones that could damage the pipe.

IMG_20200512_172744.jpg
IMG_20200512_195201.jpg
IMG_20200512_195340.jpg
IMG_20200512_195424.jpg
IMG_20200512_195433.jpg
IMG_20200512_195435.jpg
IMG_20200512_195443.jpg
IMG_20200512_195557.jpg
IMG_20200512_195604.jpg
IMG_20200512_195725.jpg
Hi Hugh, that 15 degree doesn't look perfect in that picture, i will adjust it now, and never give that a thought about the water of it coming down, all that's in my mind is trying to get it all right so all fits together in some way that's ok, and for it to work, and if it's only 5mm over the whole lot, i'm sure i can get that, so the underground pipe will be at the wall a bit better.

And i have just bought 45 equal from Toolstation Bristol, i should have waited for you reply first, and not sure how long you have for their returns, they're not taking any while we're Lockdown, i can order the one you say, not checked their stock yet, i can get that one, and the 90 spigot end one. it is quite tight, in there here's other pictures, it might give more depth and scale, it hard when you can be there and see the job as it is, what do you think??

And i'll do the back fill as you say, i got some post mix, so that will be dead handy for setting quick for the rest bend, thanks Hugh

Worst case scenario, swap that gully for one without the back inlet, if you're not going to use it, it sticks out a long way, and is making your life more awkward. You want to ideally set the gulley at, or just below, finished floor level, so needs to come up a bit by the look of it. Are you actually discharging anything into it or is it just for draining the surrounding area?

Worst case scenario, swap that gully for one without the back inlet, if you're not going to use it, it sticks out a long way, and is making your life more awkward. You want to ideally set the gulley at, or just below, finished floor level, so needs to come up a bit by the look of it. Are you actually discharging anything into it or is it just for draining the surrounding area?

Hi Hugh, no i'm not discharging anything into it, it is just for surface water when it rains, i was going to cut that Gulley and cap it off. do you know what bend i'll need to connect it to the branch, thanks Hugh

Perhaps a 90° branch with a 90° bend to the gulley would fit better. (Without stepping on Hugh's toes, I know he's helped you a lot with this)

Yes, i think Hugh has said the same, so i posted all angles of what i have to be dead sure, or if i can still use what i have, just waiting for Hugh to give a final nod, to what's best, it's hard to say unless you're here doing it, pictures can't capture is as it looks, i can always take back what i don't use, and yes Hugh has helped me massively, i owe him a days wages i think.... he's very knowledgeable to say the least...

Yes, i think Hugh has said the same, so i posted all angles of what i have to be dead sure, or if i can still use what i have, just waiting for Hugh to give a final nod, to what's best, it's hard to say unless you're here doing it, pictures can't capture is as it looks, i can always take back what i don't use, and yes Hugh has helped me massively, i owe him a days wages i think.... he's very knowledgeable to say the least...
IMG_20200513_115745.jpg
IMG_20200513_115808.jpg
IMG_20200513_115815.jpg

Hi anybody can say if this will work?? obviously i won't be using the black above ground fittings, the black 3 way is a 92.5 if you look at the pictures you'll see it's a bit wonky, will i need a 87.2 to cure this issue?? any help would be good. thanks
IMG_20200513_142920.jpg
IMG_20200513_142950.jpg
IMG_20200513_142959.jpg
IMG_20200513_143010.jpg
IMG_20200513_143032.jpg
IMG_20200513_143039.jpg
IMG_20200513_143107.jpg

(Without stepping on Hugh's toes, I know he's helped you a lot with this)
Please, feel free to chip in, every day is a school day and there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

All I'll add Tony is, 'If it looks right, then it is right'. (Famous saying from the old drainlayer I came across as a youngster. His other was 'Either that's pi$$ed or I am.') Just make sure gulley is at a suitable low point, you want water to run into it, not away from it.

Please, feel free to chip in, every day is a school day and there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

All I'll add Tony is, 'If it looks right, then it is right'. (Famous saying from the old drainlayer I came across as a youngster. His other was 'Either that's pi$$ed or I am.') Just make sure gulley is at a suitable low point, you want water to run into it, not away from it.

Thanks Hugh, i know i have been a proper pain, i know a lot more than i ever i would of thought from this, i never imagined the complications that this sort of thing throws up, i'd still be nowhere without your help, it's very much appreciated, obviously i can't use the 3 socket T piece, and it is wonky, can i ask please, what bend i would need for that part of it, i am a bit desperate to get it finished, i never thought it would take anywhere near this amount of time, i have shtloads to do, i have been doing my whole house on my own from top to bottom, after this i'm in the kitchen, the downstairs toilet, then front and back gardens, and finishing the bathroom, it's never ending, thanks Hugh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back