Close coupled issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guy. I friend wants to redo her bathroom and wants to change her old low level toilet for a close coupled one. At the mo, the soil stack sticks out of the external wall and connects up sideways to the toilet outlet with a 90 degree cast iron collar. I will have to cut the soil stack but since the close coupled toilet will have to be moved further back to the wall, the toilet outlet will not be aligned anymore with the soil stack. I will have to connect up the toilet outlet with a 90 degree pan connector, add about 500mm of soil pipe towards the external wall, then add a 90 degree elbow, another length of about 300 mm of soil pipe and another elbow to connect up with the soil stack. The bathroom is small and the new distance from the toilet to the soil stack is only about 500 mm but there are going to be a couple of elbows. The slope will be ok as she wants to tile the floor and therefore I could give a couple of cm fall. The one million pound question is can I do that or the toilet will get clogged up because of the two elbows? Also, if the answe to the above is yes, can I connect up the washing machine discharge pipe to the toilet? Thank you for your time and my apologies for the lengthy post.

Sponsored Links
Sounds very much like you'd be better altering the main soil pipe/soil vent pipe. Flexi WC connectors or double bends may choke & a washing machine pumping out waste water into a choked soil pipe would flood the place!! Post up a sketch & we can advise further.

Hi guys thank you very much for taking the time to answer my post. Delta T2 unfortunately i do not know how to post up a sketch but i think you got the picture. Basically, say that you are facing a wall where you are going to install your new close coupled toilet and on your right hand side there is an external wall perpendicular to the wall you are going to install the new toilet and that is where the existing soil stack is protruding from. Now, to connect up the toilet to the existing soil stack i should use a 90 degree pan connector, add 500 mm plastic soil pipe up to the external wall, fit a 90 degree elbow, add 300 mm of plastic soil pipe and add another 90 degree elbow, female socket on one side and spigot on the other, and use a time saver collar for the final connection between the soil stack protruding from the external wall and the spigot. My worry as you have pointed out is the two 90 degree elbows only 300-400 mm from each other but on the other hand i will be able to put the right fall in because the floor is going to be tiled therefore the toilet is going to be 2-3 cm higher than the existing soil stack. Do you think i might get away with it? Using a flexible connector would still give me two sharp bends as the distance between the toilet outlet and the existing soil stack is short. Hope that is clearer and thanks again for your precious time.

Sponsored Links
So are those two 90 degree bends too close to each other then? is it too risky?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back