Regulations on Cistern Overflows in Bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on the correct way to connect a toilet cistern overflow in a bathroom served by a 100mm PVC soil stack and no external wall. The toilet is close coupled so I cannot connect to the flush pipe but I am not sure if it is permissable to connect to the soil stack above the boss accepting the toilet outlet.
Can I attach an adhesive boss to the soil stack and with appropriate reducers connect the 20mm overflow pipe or do I have to use/make a trap to prevent smells feeding back up the overflow into the cistern?

Fozzie

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise on the correct way to connect a toilet cistern overflow in a bathroom served by a 100mm PVC soil stack and no external wall. The toilet is close coupled so I cannot connect to the flush pipe but I am not sure if it is permissable to connect to the soil stack above the boss accepting the toilet outlet.
Can I attach an adhesive boss to the soil stack and with appropriate reducers connect the 20mm overflow pipe or do I have to use/make a trap to prevent smells feeding back up the overflow into the cistern?

Fozzie

you cannot connect an overflow to a stack as you have to know it is running, the only option is to change the syphon so it runs into the pan

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys and for the link.
The previous tenant had tried to reseal the cistern with silicon so I have already had to change the donut so a change of the flush system seems a much easier option than faffing around with the overflow.
Fozzie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back