Plumbing immersion tank overflow into W/M waste outlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone!

I looking to remove an overflow pipe run that goes into the bathroom and re-route an immersion overflow into the kitchen and connect it to the washing machine waste.

Currently, the overflow from the immersion tank passes through a partition wall into the bathroom where it connects to the toilet cistern overflow and then continues to behind the bath panel where it connects to the 40mm waste.

I'm installing a new cistern with an internal overflow, so there will then be nothing in the bathroom that requires an overflow.

The immersion tank cupboard is on the opposite side of a partition wall to where the washing machine is in the kitchen.

So I'm looking to remove the overflow run into the bathroom completely and send the tank overflow through the partition and connect it to the washing machine waste outlet via a tee connector and reducer about halfway up the vertical pipe.

I've attached photos of the current immersion overflow and where I'm looking to connect to the washing machine waste.

Would this be ok to do? Any advice is appreciated... Thanks!

Attachments

• Boiler Cupbaord.jpg
    Boiler Cupbaord.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 48
  • W:M Waste.jpg
    W:M Waste.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
'Fraid to say, never heard of such a thing as an immersion overflow. That is a tundish that would usually be connected to a Pressure Relief Valve but given it's plastic overflow pipe then that would suggest it's a condensate pipe from a boiler.

If it's a D2 pipe from an unvented cylinder then it's not right and needs a qualified engineer in to sort it out.

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The tank is an old style 144L 2 element immersion. The reason I thought it would be ok to plumb the overflow from the tank into the washing machine waste in the kitchen is because the waste in the kitchen feeds through into the bathroom waste which the overflow is currently connected to, so thought it’d be Ok being as the overflow from the tank would still be connected to the same waste run just at a different point?

Attachments

• IMG_6925.jpeg
    IMG_6925.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_6919.jpeg
    IMG_6919.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6930.jpeg
    IMG_6930.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 29
Sponsored Links
Ah ok, it's a combination/fortic cylinder, 15mm inlet with a 21.5mm overflow. Yup, as suggested fire away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back