Overflow pipe question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pipework for an overflow on a close coupled toilet (not internal overflow) is usually solvent welded.

I was just wondering the connection that goes through the actual cistern and is connected externally of the cistern is simply a pipe inserted into this connection and tightened up with a plastic nut.

Is the pipe that is inserted into the connection solvent welded to provide a water tight seal or simply pushed in and tightened with the nut?.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
so how else do you pipe unvented ?

as far as the cylinder is concerned its just that a cylinder with an extra zone valve

the heating side to the cylinder is a variation of the s plan or s plan plus

and you can do it with a combi

kickbut.gif

leb.gif

The fitting in all honesty doesnt look watertight too me, even with the plastic compression fitting i can still withdraw the pipe if tightened up as much as i can from the pipe. Probably be best to solvent weld the fitting then use the plastic compression nut to give a water tight seal.

A compression fitting won't take solvent weld, it's a different plastic.

You can always put a few turns of PTFE around the pipe to widen it out and create a seal.

Just fully hand-tighten it. Never had to resort to PTFE. If you solvent weld it, how will you remone the cistern if you need to?

Get it tight, won't leak.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back