How to Connect These 2 Overflow Pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was wondering if anyone would mind giving me some pointers.

The overflow pipe from my cistern looks like the plastic pipe below (22mm) (the cistern is currently upside down on the floor):

20231019_204557.jpg

The pipe I want to connect this to looks like this (also 22mm):

20231019_204526.jpg

How would I connect these two pipes with a flexible connection? Is there a usual practise for connecting what looks like a solvent weld pipe to what looks like a screw-on?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
You connect rigid overflow pipe to the cistern ,not flexible. It's not 22mm by the way, it's 21.5mm.
The standpipe in your pic is missing the connection nut, you can buy a new standpipe that comes complete ,or you can replace the flush valve with one that has an integral overflow ,and blank off the existing overflow components.

Hi, Thanks for your reply.

I need it to be flexible because they are not near each other and the original plumber simply bent the pipe to fit! I'm not really sure what you mean about connecting the rigid overflow pipe to the cistern. And if it's not 22mm what is it?

If you mean the vertical pipe is out of alignment with the cisterns overflow outlet ,you would need to alter the pipework to suit. Bending pipes is common in plumbing ,take a look at the copper supply pipes,as seen in your pic .
Overflow pipe is 21.5mm diameter.

Sponsored Links
Alternatively fit a new syphon (Durley turbo good choice)
You can then get rid of overflow as it will go through pan.
Good squeeze of silicone down existing overflow upstand job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back