looking for advice on kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plastering on my kitchen ceiling is all over the place and it slopes in placecs so i thought the best solution other that taking the ceiling down was to put in a false ceiling
I was thinking about using tongue and groove cladding
Was going to screw batons into the joists but not sure how to locate the joists throught the ceiling i tried to use a stud/cable finder but it was no good so took it back
I was told 16" center but is that 16" from the wall to the center of the 1st joist ?
The house was built in 1900 original ceiling
Size of kitchen: 167" x 122 1\2"
Is tongue and groove cladding the best way to aproach this ?
Cheers
Paul

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plaste...looking-for-some-advice.317854/#ixzz1q8vPMWTy

Sponsored Links
Do you know which was the joists are running? If not you may be able to see from a room above, they will run perpendicular to the floor boards.

Poke a screwdriver or bradawl through the ceiling along both ends where the joists run two and from and you will find them, bear in mind you may have a lath and plaster ceiling so if you think you have found one make a series of holes along what you suspect to be the joist very close together for about an inch or two to make sure. Once you have found one joist you can make your next hole at about 16" across for start looking for the next one but dont expect them to be there! They might be but its not always the case!

Once both sides are marked you can ping a chalk like through to save you some time later on with finding them. I personally would then batten the ceiling perpendicular to the joists and pack the battens off where required to make the ceiling flat (this could be either just to flatten it out a bit or you can go to town and make it as perfect as you like). Its up to you to clad it in t&g or plasterboard it and get it skimmed!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back