Looking for an explanation

Sponsored Links
And just to save yourself some money on the electric bill - the thermostat in the top immersion shall be set 5 degrees lower than the boiler stat. Essential until the booster timer is installed/working.

And just to save yourself some money on the electric bill - the thermostat in the top immersion shall be set 5 degrees lower than the boiler stat. Essential until the booster timer is installed/working.
You do know he has a gas boiler ?

Yes, I did read that... That is why my recommendation is to set the 'stat in the immersion heater below the temperature of the boiler 'stat so should it be left on it won't use electric power when the boiler has/is heating the water.

Sponsored Links
If you left the immersion on it would not matter if you set it 5c under because as soon as the water temp dropped the immersion would start heating the water,

Gents - I'm happy to report that setting the black dial to 60° and turning off the immersion has resulted in good showers and no blowing-off.

Thank you for your guidance.

Thank you all, that's very helpful and I've now left the immersion heater off and I've moved the black dial to 60 - the boiler has fired up to handle that call (as central heating is not being called for). I will monitor and test how the shower is performing tomorrow.

You ask the questions but don't seem to heed the answers!

You say that you had turned the dial to 60 C. But you had been advised to set it at 55 C.

It is not going to be obvious to you, but there are actually reasons for the correct settings!

The water should be at about 55 C so that when it reaches the tap it is not too high and risk scalding.

The boiler should be set at least 10 C above the cylinder setting. Normally boilers are set to 65-70 C but any lower and it may never get the cylinder up to the set temperature.

You also, against our advice, turned back on the top immersion heater. Using electric heating costs three times that of using gas.

Inside the immersion heaters again the stats should be set to about 55 - 60 C. They can be set a little higher because the boiler temperature is not relevant but the risk of scalding remains.

If all works fine with the correct settings then you can just use it. But annually the cylinder should be serviced and the air pressure in the white expansion vessel checked.

Tony

You also, against our advice, turned back on the top immersion heater. Using electric heating costs three times that of using gas.

Struggling to understand why you feel you have the right to jump on this thread in this manner. Some kind of complex you have, no doubt.

I am trying to give you the correct advice, as well as an explanation of why, and to encourage you to heed the advice which we give you. I am sorry that you are grateful. But others read these forums who do appreciate advice,

You were previously told that the hotter the water the higher the pressure. That is not correct.

Once the water is flowing the pressure is controlled by the pressure reducing valve on the cold inlet to the cylinder.

Tony

I am sceptical that you understand anything. You're certainly late to the party in any respect. Best to jump on active threads if you feel you wish to offer assistance, not come in to gripe about the advice given after a satisfactory solution has resulted through the advice of others.

Your use of "against our advice" was interesting, I felt... maybe you think of the forum as some kind of hive mind... but I look at is as though you weren't involved. I can't figure out if you're trying to hog the glory (?) or you are just bored. I'll leave it at that - thanks to those forum members that gave me good input, I really appreciate it and I learned something.

I have given you good advice even though you don't appreciate it.

But you have not heeded the advice given by others by setting to 60 C instead of 55 C and for no obvious reason turned back on the expensive electric heating.

We give the advice but obviously if you choose to ignore it then that is your choice and will result in incorrect settings and more expensive to operate water heating.

Tony

You say that you had turned the dial to 60 C. But you had been advised to set it at 55 C.

It is not going to be obvious to you, but there are actually reasons for the correct settings!
60c is the correct temp setting due to potential legionella issues , especially so due to the absence of a de-strat circulator.

The water should be at about 55 C so that when it reaches the tap it is not too high and risk scalding.
Mis-leading advice yet again.

Inside the immersion heaters again the stats should be set to about 55 - 60c.
Bottom immersion heater stat should be set lower than 55c due to stratification causing top immersion heater stat to trip on overheat.
It's not imperative that you have to comment on all threads.

I am sceptical that you understand anything. You're certainly late to the party in any respect. Best to jump on active threads if you feel you wish to offer assistance, not come in to gripe about the advice given after a satisfactory solution has resulted through the advice of others.

Your use of "against our advice" was interesting, I felt... maybe you think of the forum as some kind of hive mind... but I look at is as though you weren't involved. I can't figure out if you're trying to hog the glory (?) or you are just bored. I'll leave it at that - thanks to those forum members that gave me good input, I really appreciate it and I learned something.
Spot on..;)
Thanking you for your observations..
He does appear to have this 'air of authority' about himself , possibly due to an inferiority complex?

You were previously told that the hotter the water the higher the pressure. That is not correct.

If you have 2 bar in an unvented cylinder when the water is at 20c what do you think the pressure will be at 60c ?
do you think the expansion vessel plays no part in affecting pressure ?

If you have 2 bar in an unvented cylinder when the water is at 20c what do you think the pressure will be at 60c ?
do you think the expansion vessel plays no part in affecting pressure ?
I'll await for Agile's answer , hopefully he has recieved the correct training in order to enlighten us?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back