Looking for good window supplier and fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, 4 years ago I had windows and doors changed on my first house purchase and did not know much about it at the time. i went for a cheap solution and now I'm having to replace everything. Drafts everywhere broken hinges, and the company that supplied them has gone bust.

So I'm looking for recommendations for quality windows and doors.

I have 4 windows (2 120cmx120cm, 1 120cmx90xcm, 1 180cmx120cm) to replace, 2 sets of patio doors - sliding (1800cmx2050cm) and my front door.

Ideally I'd like to have great thermal efficiency, and minimalist frames to maximise on sunlight.

Can anyone recommend good companies, ideally around Berkshire, west London area (I'm in Slough).

I've got a budget of about £5000. Would this be enough?

Sponsored Links
I'm having a local (Surrey/Hants) chap do mine - quote was more competitive than the nationals and he's fitting Rehau Energy A grade windows (with toughened glass due to height, but I can't remember if this was standard) and a Benchmark composite front door, both seem to be of good quality.

As an idea of price, door is £875 and 2 windows were £840 (1800mm x 1200mm and 1200mm x 1200mm). This seemed to tally up with what I'd researched on the web (Google is your friend!).

Most of the info I read recommended finding a local fitter. I got quotes from people on check-a-trade and another local tradesman's website.

Ensure they are FENSA and GGF certified and then you should have some comeback even if they do go bust after you've dealt with them.

Personally, anybody who tries to get me to view a show room for basic windows worries me... I'd rather see good everyday testimonials than what they can do when they know they're being assessed. I also know that running a showroom isn't cheap and it's likely to be reflected in the price.

Hi Egmel,

Thanks for your quick response. This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for.
I know Rehau as my best friend works for them in France. Unfortunately she doesn't look after the UK market so tricky to get an idea of whom to contact.

Is your local fitter far from slough? if not and he wanted a job to do, I'd be happy to have a quote from him. If you want to send me a pvt message with his details, I'd really appreciate it. If it's too far for him, he might know a company closer to me he could recommend.

I'll check the check-a-trade site as you suggested, see how things go.

My local guy is http://www.cristalwindows.co.uk/ but as I say, I've not had them fitted yet so I'm not guaranteeing them until I've seen the results (they're coming tomorrow!) They're based in fleet so slough might be within his remit but I'm not certain.

You can find a local Rehau fitter here http://www.rehauauthorisedpartners.co.uk/

You can then cross reference that to the check-a-trade listings, the Fensa website ( http://www.fensa.org.uk/asp/member_search.asp ) and the GGF website ( http://www.ggf.org.uk/findinstallerInd.aspx )
My theory is that since their accreditation by these guys costs them a fortune, if they're actually on the list, then should it go wrong they will come back and fix it rather than risk losing their certificates. Don't just assume that the logo on the website is valid, double check with the accrediting body.

Sponsored Links
Ensure they are FENSA and GGF certified and then you should have some comeback even if they do go bust after you've dealt with them.

FENSA is a self certification scheme instead of building control coming out to check compliance with regs. personally i would rather have an independent inspector round. it definitely does not assure workmanship (eg draughtproofing), or any comeback if the firm goes bust. search around on this forum if you don't believe me.

FENSA is a self certification scheme instead of building control coming out to check compliance with regs. personally i would rather have an independent inspector round. it definitely does not assure workmanship (eg draughtproofing), or any comeback if the firm goes bust. search around on this forum if you don't believe me.
My bad for ambiguous typing. It is the GGF which backs the 10 year guarantee in the event that the company closes (for whatever reason).

I'm not sure about the independent inspector bit, I was investigating this for my fire door issue. According to my local council they check the plans and they check the finished result but they don't really check what's actually done underneath. I'd rather find a recommended and trusted local registered tradesman than someone who hasn't got themselves certified. It's the same as the Part P for electrics and why many electricians will charge as much to do the work as to verify your own work. Unless they can see what you've actually done they can't verify it meets regulations, only that it gives the right test results. All in all it's a very dubious situation.

Hello, 4 years ago I had windows and doors changed on my first house purchase and did not know much about it at the time. i went for a cheap solution and now I'm having to replace everything. Drafts everywhere broken hinges, and the company that supplied them has gone bust.

So I'm looking for recommendations for quality windows and doors.

I have 4 windows (2 120cmx120cm, 1 120cmx90xcm, 1 180cmx120cm) to replace, 2 sets of patio doors - sliding (1800cmx2050cm) and my front door.

Ideally I'd like to have great thermal efficiency, and minimalist frames to maximise on sunlight.

Can anyone recommend good companies, ideally around Berkshire, west London area (I'm in Slough).

I've got a budget of about £5000. Would this be enough?

If you want the best thermal efficency known to man then these people are amazing but I think they only do West Midlands. may be worth asking.

Energy Efficient Windows.....need to be careful as their is no mention of them on the BFRC website and to be claiming to manufacture A rated windows, could be on thin ice.

Looking at the spec I dont doubt that it is pretty good, if not a bit unusual.... However, If they are not registered with the BFRC they cannot promote A rated. Incidentally the fudged A rating label on their website is wrong, a -5 energy index equates to a B rated window.

And their claim to using '4 pane technology' is a bit lets say ambiguous.

Its just a triple glazed unit with laminated glass on the outside thats all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back