Looking for loft boarding advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Looking for some pointers on how to make our loft more usable for storage.

Loft is fairly sizeable, think i measured it previously at 4m x 6m for the central portion before the slanted supports. This central portion has had 1" thick floorboards laid some time in the past but with a layer of insulation rolled out on top.
The portion beyond the supports are just joists (2x6 at about 450mm apart) and a couple of layers of rolled out insulation.

Currently we're storing a few thing on top of the insulation in the floored section but would like to get a better solution before winter.

I have a few thoughts on how to approach useable but insulated storage but would like a second (and third opinion).
  1. Use the side portions somehow, either using those loft legs or some 2x4 with chipboard panels on top to create a raised platform. Only issue is having to get stuff through the 450mm gap between roof supports.
  2. Lift the floorboards, refresh insulation between joists then either cross-joint/sister and use more rolled insulation or use solid insulation boards and just lay directly on top of existing joists then re-lay floorboards.
  3. Insulate the rafters instead and remove the rolls on top of the floorboards.
Advantage of #1 is that it's relatively quick and I'm comfortable doing it myself but still means we're walking over the insulation to get there everytime and we'll probably have to revisit later on.

#2 and #3 are just too much work for the spare time I have right not so I'd have to get someone in to do it (for #3, it's about 60m^2 at a guess of roof to insulate).

Originally we'd thought we might get it properly converted at some point but that's on hold as reading some of the building regs, since it's a 2 storey already and the staircase goes directly into living room then we'd have to look at a fire suppression system to be compliant with fire safety or something.

Sponsored Links
Hi, there are plenty of threads about loft boarding on here that might give you some other ideas.
Personally, I have used the Loft Zone Store Floor

https://www.loftzone.co.uk/product/storefloor/
This was a very simple DIY job and the parts were easy to get through a small hatch - although extending the hatch is another DIY job that really makes the loft a much more usable space.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back