Looking for loft Insulation advice....

Either insulate the knee wall and meet the insulation between the rafters coming down from the ridge, and then can leave out the ins. After the knee wall towards the eaves, or continuos insulation between the rafters from ridge to eaves and can leave out the knee wall insulation.

Will it not matter that not insulating right down to the eaves there will be only rockwool stopping heat/moisture exiting through the ceiling and up the sides of the insulated loft area.

Sponsored Links
Spotted on another forum that someone removed the top bricks from their wallplate to help the airflow in their loft. Does anyone know if these would have any purpose in my case they are already loose, I currently only have a roughly 10mm gap at the moment and very little airflow.

sdyHxAS.jpg

If there are bricks of top of your wall plate then they are probably redundant. Below you should have enough to support the plate and your ceiling/rafters. You could change some of the bricks for plastic air bricks to stop birds etc coming in to nest

Hi again everyone, finally got round to seeing what was behind the top row of bricks atop the wall plate. It turns out they are only there to cap off / seal the cavity.

qFZjRhT.jpg

oF4mvgI.jpg

The eaves themselves are completely sealed as the exterior render goes right up to touch the underside of the roof.

My question now is will removing the rest of these bricks thus opening up the cavity be a good idea to help with airflow? Or will this cause a great deal of heat loss.

Thanks for any further feedback.

Sponsored Links
Cavity should really be closed. You want the air flow on the outside of your insulated layer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back