Advice on insulating the pitched roof for my loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone direct me to a website that gives you information on what I need to do exactly to insulate my pitched roof. I have 20 sheets of 50mm kingspan to put between the roof rafters. I have recently had a new roof fitted along with vent 3 underfelt. Do I need to install the kingspan between the rafters leaving a small air gap because of my vent 3 felt or does it still need to be 50mm gap. If so once the kingspan is between the rafters do I also need a foil quilt as extra insulation over the top of the rafters as well and then cross battan the foil.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
to meet regulations it looks as though you will need a minimum of 125mm kingspan or celotex. this can be arranged at the rafter detail according to warm or cold deck preference/practicality.

venting the roof will again depend upon warm or cold deck applications.

Thanks for the links. How do I determine a cold or warm application. I have already bought the 20 sheets of 50mm kingspan so would it be ok to use the superfoil over the top of the kingspan.

Sponsored Links
i am not knowledgeable about foil insulation.

none of the designers/architects/building control officers that i know, ever recommend its use.

warm deck - the insulation sits above the rafters (no venting required).

cold deck - the insulation sits between or under the rafters. (50mm air gap required).

a warm deck must be fitted before the roof covering.

What type of foil insulation do you have in mind ? Foil type insulations are not as good as the literature that comes with them would have you believe. I much prefer to see the kingspan type of insulation used as its performance is proven.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back