Looking for old vinyl floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of uncovering and cleaning up the original 1970s floor tiles in our lounge, but as I'm taking the hearth out I will ideally need some more to fill the gap, unless I just paint the bit over.

The tiles are dark reddish-brown with red and white flecks and appear to have been used in a lot of places over the years - an older work colleague had some in his first house and I've seen them in a 1950's house too (mine is late 70's).

They are about 3 to 4mm thick, fairly brittle and stuck down with black bitumen. Are they available anywhere, or an I being too optimistic? I guess reclaimed is not possible as they'd probably break before when they were removed!

Any advice or help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Thermo plastic tiles. I rip loads of them up everyday. However. Im in birmingham so miles away from you. You passing brum at any point?

To be fair, any good flooring company will uplift them before skimming a floor for vinyl. And as there in almost every house that has concrete floors after about 1970 there easy to find. I would pop in the local carpet shop and ask them to bring you some back from a job. Offer them a drink for it tho or i dought they will bother !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back