Looking for some advice on what to do about old heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the title says I'm just looking for some advice on what people who know more about this type of thing than I do would do.

I have an open vented heating system. It's a baxi solo 2 (I think) pf heat only boiler and separate cylinder. The system is about 19-20 years old (I've only been in the house 18 months). It does work but basically after about 25 mins of operating, the boiler cycles on and off every 2 mins (note room stat has not reached temperature at this point), I guess this is down to boiler internal thermostat cutting it on and out. Also there is a noise that sounds like a ball bearing bouncing about, I can't tell of its coming from boiler, external pump or pipe work in between.

To make matters worse the system is piped in microbore, I suspect it is all bunged up as downstairs radiators take ages to heat up.

Short version of that is I think whole system including pipework and rads need replacing. I've been quoted £4k for this from reputable company (they would put in combi boiler, new pipework/rads) . While I think this is the best way to go in the long run I am planning on selling the house on the coming months so it's a big outlay I coukd do without.

My alternative as far as I can see would be to replace the heat only boiler like for like, I suspect I would be as well replacing the pump also. Of the pipe work system is all bunged up and corroded would this be pointless?

Alternatively I could try and ride out the winter, at present we just run the boiler for 30 mins at a time maybe 4 or 5 times a day, the upshot of this is the house is always a bit cold I have bought electric rads to supplement the central heating bit they're not great.

Anyway, I know what I'm asking is subjective but I'd just be really interested to find out some advice on this.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I certainly would not spend 4K on a house I am about to sell. I would get an engineer to diagnose the problem with your boiler or central heating system. Get a quote for the work and go from there.

Thanks for the reply Terry. Yeah this is the issue. Problem is, I think the system is just old /goosed.

boiler still has parts available and rest of system is working ,get a engineer to check for circulation issue ,check close couple area and pump condition could be a flush and new pump will sort for a few hundred pound

Sponsored Links
It may be ,but boiler is firing up ,you are getting heat from rads so to keep it going over winter till you sell up and move would be the way to go ,in my opinion .

Thanks both for the reply. I'd be more than happy to spend a few hundred quid and see if extends the life of the boiler for even a few months. I'm a little wary of starting to even test the boiler at this stage in case I accelerate the problems before Xmas and end up with no heating (ie everywhere is shut and I need to wait a couple of weeks to get it replaced) but if I nurse it through to January I'll definitely try this.

Gordon you mentioned parts are still available for this. I wasn't aware of this, generally speaking are all major parts for this boiler still fairly easy to source? I do have boiler cover but when the fan went about a year ago the engineer told me that it's likely in the future if anything else goes I won't be able to replace it. (apparently the replacement fan he used wasn't the exact model for this boiler)

If you have boiler cover why on earth haven't you had them out pronto ,get your monies worth mate !!

If you have boiler cover why on earth haven't you had them out pronto ,get your monies worth mate !!

To be honest I'm worried about them condemning the boiler. Then I'm really goosed. Don't get me wrong, if/when it stops working I'll get them out but I figured that whike it's still technically working I can't really get them out.

i think the main heat exchanger is the only part not listed

OK, thanks for checking. Is this something I could work around ie fit some sort of generic/alternative model.

I guess the only thing that could go wrong with the HE is it clogs up? Therefore a chemical bath could sort it out?

As you can probably guess, central heating is not my area of expertise. I'm very much electrical based, anything else is basically black magic

simple test is get a magnet and put on the copper pipes in and around pump area etc (not the pump itself) ,if it is attracted magnatite is present and it will be restricted

Thanks all for the advice. I'm working away at the moment so can't test myself, I'm going to have a think about it today and might get the wife to phone up the boiler insurance and see if they'll send someone out. As stated previously my only worry with this is if they either condemn it or do something to make it worse.

I suppose the best info to give them is boiler is functioning but seems to have a circulation issue which is causing it to overheat and cycle on /off?

Likely cause of circulation issue is blocked up pipes and/or pump not running well?

Assuming hot water heats up ok, and in reasonable time, the issue sounds like a classic circulation issue. Microbore by its nature clogs up more easily. System flush will be needed before a new boiler is fitted anyway, I'd get one done and see if this solves the issue.

Thanks. I remember speaking to the service engineer previously and he advised against a power flush on this case because it may basically blow out fittings on the pipework. He instead said I should run a cleanser through it. I might try and get that done, is there any risk of aggravating further problems by doing this. As mentioned previously in more than happy to start trying anything come January my issue is wanting to prevent any issues occurring during the Xmas period when I'll be unable to get the system replaced/fixed.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back